Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

How do you go about getting a guardianship done for a autistic child.

I have a sin fixing to turn 18. He's been in school since age 3. Been assessed, ARD's, Special Ed classes then main streamed. He not been to a doctor since about 3 years ago. He had no bad problems to go. Didn't know I needed a doctors approval until last week to send in papers to a court to get guardianship. I filled out books 2 weeks ago to up date his autism for the state for his SSA.

I just now learned you got to have a doctor's paper work for the state. Now is this true. Can I just get the high school that dragging their feet to give up there finds. I know at his last ARD he's still autistic and not ready for working yet.

I also found out the school is pushing 2 programs Post & Dars at me so they can get paid. What if I want him to go to another school to help him in high education issues that he exceptional in they can help him do more. Her come a long way with his education not only at schools but at home.

We see his potential in to making a full life. They want to hate to say it dumb him down. The scores I did on him with the state booklet's don't match the school's scores. The scores I did are alot higher. That's cause they scored him in middle school not high school. That were then & I conflict.

His speech therapy teacher uses visual aids like her fingers to get him to answer her questions. Here's the kicker why we conflict. If he has been taught since Freshman year words and doesn't understand the meanings. How do you expect a child to answer a question in a timely manner if they have never heard, seen or even understand the words they have heard. No matter how many times you reword them.

I been teaching him for years words and there meaning. Having him look them up as well. We both learn together. Now if I don't find another way round these folks. I got to do be sweet honey to them just to get the last of his paper work back. His Birthday is at end of this month.

Use to be able to walk into a school and ask. Then had to be assertive. Now they just put you off until time runs out. This is ridiculous. Sorry for being so forward I just frustrated trying to keep my cool.

Answer Question

Asked by smallhands at 10:57 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

Level 2 (8 Credits)
Answers (1)
  • How do I apply for guardianship of my child?

    Contact the Office of the Public Guardian in your state. Every state differs, and you should just ask them where you need to begin and let them walk you through the process. You will need to fill out an application for guardianship and file a petition for appointment of a guardian with an appropriate state district court. Typically an attorney should represent the Petitioner (you) who is requesting guardianship. You should expect legal fees and costs associated with this, however, in some cases the court can reimburse your legal expenses.


    Answer by musicmom08 at 11:06 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.