My baby is siccck! :-(

2 1/2 year old with a terrible cough. I gave her some tylenol, but the cough isn't letting up. Poor girl is sleeping and coughing at the same time. :-( What else can I do to help her?? (This is literally the firs time she has ever been sick!)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:44 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Vaporizer, prop her mattress up,

Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 11:46 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• awww poor little thing. Does she have a snotty nose? if she does thats probably whats causing her to cough while laying down. Since shes over 2 you can give her a tiny bit of benadryl to dry up her nose my son is 21months and the dr said we can give him 3ml he weighs 27lbs so that might help you. I her nose isnt runny and its just a cough im not sure what might help as shes to little to give cold meds to. Do you have a Humidifier you can turn on? See if you can wake her a bit and give her a drink of water that might help to. Good luck and im sorry shes sick.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 11:48 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• vicks baby rub, humidifier, try to prop her up safely on pillows (at 2 1/2 this can be hard) or depending if in bed or toddler bed you might be able to prop up mattress. Plenty of fluids. If not much to eat, this is okay, but get her to drink. Try to avoid dairy while coughing.
    MommyPeck3

Answer by MommyPeck3 at 11:48 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• You should try giving her actual cough syrup with tussin in it to help her cough up anything that might be in her chest. Tylenol isn't going to help a cough.
    gumby11883

Answer by gumby11883 at 11:48 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• my dd just got over pneumonia... when I asked what to do for her cough (she is 17 months old) I was told by the doctor to use baby vicks, prop her matress up, and run a cool mist vaporizer. Cough meds are not good for children my dds age... I dont know how much older your child is but I would not give her cough medicine without asking the doctor first.
    sktrowb

Answer by sktrowb at 12:16 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• She is 31 months, the tylenol is cough and cold, so I was hoping it would help. she is in a twin bed, so propping mattress wont work. but i bet I can prop her with pillows and give her some vicks and if not maybe some benadryl. thanks for the ideas ladies!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:22 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• steam, humidifier, lots of juice and water, stop giving the tylenol it is very very very bad for their liver
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 4:40 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I just brought my daughter in for a cough that wouldn't go away. Turns out she had a sinus infection! Hope your little one feels better soon!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 6:02 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I would call the Dr... they can give you someting that will dry that all up. I was always worried to give cough syurp and benydrill to little ones. You may need antibotics specially if it is a sinus infection. My 2 boys get it allot. My 4 year old always was getting sick (at the time he was a baby)with ear infections and sinus problems... at 2 1/2 he had to get tubes in his ears his adnoids removed and his tonsils! Ever since then he gets a little sick and get a cough and it always is sinus problems. So i agree with the vicks and proping the bed up but I would follow up with a Dr
    NothinShockin

Answer by NothinShockin at 6:37 AM on Jan. 25, 2011