how do I convince health care professionals that my daughter has something wrong?

Karlee has always been what I thought was a late bloomer. She has crawled late, and walked late (to the point I thought there was something physically wrong with her), She has talked late(lots of babbling, and trouble understanding..and is to this day still recieving speech theropy. she has been in it since she was 1), she still isnt potty trained (shes 4, I have a 2 yr old who is almost potty trained, and a 5 yr old whom I had potty trained at 15 mo old), she has a lot of selective hearing, she plays alone, she hates change, she has great organization at play, she has no sympothy or remorse, she has violent out bursts, fits of rage, and lots of anger and hatred for a beautiful 4yr old girl, she never really smiles, she throws temper tantrums, she stairs off in to space quite a lot, she does things a certain way,she doesnt fear deep pools or moving vehicles, she still doesnt know her abc's, shapes, colors, she spells her name "Kalee", she can only count to 4, she reverts when it comes to talking a lot, she sometimes talks about things that do not relate to what we are discussing, she is very repeative in stories, and say the way she walks to my car from the house(she has to go the same way everytime or its an instint fit), she doesnt relate or act like she wants to play with other children, she can put a 150 or 200 piece puzzle together by herself, and when I look up mild autism online, Karlee has 75% of the signs they list... How do I get the drs to listen to me? For years I have heard the same thing over and over again "shes just your typical difficult child" and now that they sent her to the psychologist the psychologist says "I see a young 4yr old who maybe has a behavioral disorder, and has organized play" I am not over exagerating, there is something wrong with my daughter... how do I make the dr's listen?

Karlees-Mommy

Asked by Karlees-Mommy at 11:51 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Health

• I would keep going to different doctors until you find one that will.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 11:58 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• you need to take her to a specialist and talk to them just go to different doctors and one will be sure to help... GL
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 11:58 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• seek a second opion from a different dr. every child develops at there own pace but you also need to follow your mommy instincts and if something is saying to you in your heart somethings wrong then just keep fighting for your daughter. Get a new dr ask to see a behavioral specialist due whatever it takes till you are satisfied with the answers.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 11:59 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I know in California the state pays for testing starting at the age of four. My co-worker did this with her granddaughters. Check into what programs are in your area for this. I would call the doctor and ask for a referral. I went round and round with the pediatrician myself before we where finally referred out to a specialist for a digestive disorder with my son. Good luck
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 12:03 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I applaud you for persevering. Only you know your child well and clearly you do and can pinpoint every single thing. Your gut is right. Keep trying, see other doctors, go to the nearest big city and see a doc there if you have to. But keep trying to get her the help she needs. This is NOT the first time the docs cannot or do not recognize something in a child that is, in fact, wrong. With research and exposing her to a good handful of professionals, you should find someone who can help. Good luck.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:06 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• This sounds more like a mismatch between your expectations and your daughter's temperament. 4 is not late for potty training and some kids are genuinely not interested --or capable-- even at 5. I know we're all supposed to march in step with the What To Expect books, but let's put aside that fascism and look at the child:

She is clearly capable of socializing, she choose not to. That's called 'introverted'. They find the world inside their heads far more interesting than what all you people are bleating on about. Once upon a time, that would be called a 'nice quiet child' who is 'capable of entertaining themselves without a committee.'

I don't think you're exaggerating, but a 4yo being able to put together a 400pc puzzle is hardly 'amazing'. My eldest was doing 1000-2000pc puzzles long before that, even 3D and magic eye. No one thought it was unusual.

Unless she started walking past 2, or talking past 6, it's normal.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:16 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• My friends daughter went threw this she had to go to 2 differnt doctor and they reccomended her to go to standford they found out her daughter was having Petit mal sezures (sorry dont know the spelling)<--- look it up and see if any of the symptoms measure up and ask the doc if still noting u have to go to another doc for secong opion
    Cherriemama831

Answer by Cherriemama831 at 12:21 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Find a doctor that specializes in Autism. It's possible that a lot of doctors really don't know a whole lot about it. Or even find a website that may recommend a doctor for you to see. If your doctors can't get you anywhere, you need to look elsewhere.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:30 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I had almost all of the symptoms you're saying your daughter has. Doctors NEVER diagnosed me with anything and they won't. You either have to wait until she goes to school or have her evaluated early for Develop Mentally Delay. I was diagnosed through the school system with ADD which falls under the Autism spectrum umbrella, it is part of or a milder form of Autism. I struggled the entire time I was in school but with my moms help, the help of supplementing vitamins and minerals, and the help of daily prayer I got through regular education with a diploma and thanks to God healing and delivering me I am now almost normal. I'm not trying to push religion or faith on anyone I'm just explaining what happened to me and why I am not the way I used to be. Prepare yourself for a long hard road ahead. It's not going to be easy. Remember this, she's not stupid, every once it a while she will show you her brilliance. (cont.)--->
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 12:59 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• (cont.)---> She's just hindered or blocked. My mom use to say that there was like a wall that was always up that she couldn't break through to get to me. No matter what, you fight for her, show her and tell her you love her every day even if she doesn't seem to want it or return it. She's still in there some where.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 1:07 AM on Jan. 25, 2011