Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

How do i find a good occupational therapist for my autistic 4 year old??

I need one close to elkhart indiana and everytime i think i'm getting somewhere it leads to NOTHING! HELP! PLEASE!

Answer Question

Asked by Jessi2524 at 12:06 AM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

Level 1 (3 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • Is there an autistic support group that your local hospital or pediatric office can recommend to you? The parents in these groups would have good referrals and recommendations I believe.

    Answer by spottedpony at 12:09 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

  • If you have insurance, call your provider and ask for names of therapists in your area that they are contracted with.

    Answer by Simplicity3 at 12:11 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

  • You know, it's okay to interview people. Write down your expectations, concerns, and what you think your child needs. Take notes during each interview. Just keep setting up appointments to meet these people, and be super thorough. Good luck momma!

    Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:13 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

  • Thanks to you all! You have given me very good ideas that i can call on tomorrow! thanks music mom i try to be calm cool and collected but when docs don't hear what they want they get crabby, but i AM THE MOM! Lots of great advice!

    Comment by Jessi2524 (original poster) at 12:17 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

  • I'm not trying to be a smart aleck but why would you want an occupational therapist for a 4 yr old? That's for when adults get hurt and need to get healed up so they can return to work

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:46 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

  • Is there a national organization for families with autistic children? Google it and search that website for help. Also ask your pediatrician. Sometimes you have to get referrals through a doctor. GL


    Answer by elizabr at 7:29 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

  • For anon....Google occupational therapy and read all about it

    Answer by elizabr at 7:29 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

  • Try asking at your social security office. My daughter has a micro preemie getting a lot of services and social security referred many of the services for her

    Answer by MSugarKane at 6:31 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.