How do i find a good occupational therapist for my autistic 4 year old??

I need one close to elkhart indiana and everytime i think i'm getting somewhere it leads to NOTHING! HELP! PLEASE!

Jessi2524

Asked by Jessi2524 at 12:06 AM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Is there an autistic support group that your local hospital or pediatric office can recommend to you? The parents in these groups would have good referrals and recommendations I believe.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 12:09 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• If you have insurance, call your provider and ask for names of therapists in your area that they are contracted with.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 12:11 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• You know, it's okay to interview people. Write down your expectations, concerns, and what you think your child needs. Take notes during each interview. Just keep setting up appointments to meet these people, and be super thorough. Good luck momma!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:13 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Thanks to you all! You have given me very good ideas that i can call on tomorrow! thanks music mom i try to be calm cool and collected but when docs don't hear what they want they get crabby, but i AM THE MOM! Lots of great advice!
    Jessi2524

Comment by Jessi2524 (original poster) at 12:17 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I'm not trying to be a smart aleck but why would you want an occupational therapist for a 4 yr old? That's for when adults get hurt and need to get healed up so they can return to work
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:46 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Is there a national organization for families with autistic children? Google it and search that website for help. Also ask your pediatrician. Sometimes you have to get referrals through a doctor. GL

elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:29 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• For anon....Google occupational therapy and read all about it
    elizabr

• Try asking at your social security office. My daughter has a micro preemie getting a lot of services and social security referred many of the services for her
    MSugarKane

Answer by MSugarKane at 6:31 PM on Jan. 26, 2011