How do you do an extreme workout without getting dizzy/nauseous and blacking out?

I want to try an hour-long zumba class, but am scared I won't be able to maintain stamina. In the past when I have done extreme workouts, I have gotten dizzy, nauseous, started feeling chills and started seeing spots (or everything went black) to the point where I would have to stop and lie down. Why does this happen? Is there a certain way I should eat (or not eat) before such a class so as this will not happen in the future.

ilovepoms

Asked by ilovepoms at 12:29 AM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• You pace yourself. If you are getting too tired just do the leg work and not the arms, or march in place for a few minutes at a time. Making it through the entire class comes with time and endurance.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:31 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• First u have to pace yourself and work up to it. Then u have to remember to breathe properly. Let out air then do that as needed. It will stop the upset tummy and the dizziness. U should not blackout.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:32 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Stay hydrated

Answer by admckenzie at 12:39 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• The pace is too much for you. Start slowly. If you're getting sick from a workout, you're pushing your body too hard.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Sounds like you are pushing yourself to much. I would ask your physician whats up though.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 1:13 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Water Water water.
    Opie99

Answer by Opie99 at 2:09 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• You have to stay hydrated and stick it out because you feel bad because your body isn't used to it being put to the test if you slack off it won't help you push through and eventually you won't get sick at all.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 4:34 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Anon hit it. If you're getting dizzy, nauseous, or blacking out, you're pushing your body past the healthy end of extreme. That's not good. Take the hour long class and STOP when you need to...you have to work your way up to being able to keep the paces that are set....if you stay at it, and start slow, you'll eventually 'get' there =)
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 5:30 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Are you eating something before you work out? The only time I ever get dizzy, shaky, or queasy when exercising is when I begin when I'm hungry. Now, I always make sure I eat a light meal or snack a little while before starting my workout.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 5:36 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Are you diabetic? To me it sounds like a low blood sugar crash.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 8:27 AM on Jan. 25, 2011