How many preschools did you look at before deciding?

I've only personally visited one and was pretty happy with what they offer. (Most of the others I'm interested in don't allow kids in their tours, and I don't have anyone else to leave our son with at the moment.)

phoofy

Asked by phoofy at 2:28 AM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I didn't take my child to preschool. I have an educational background in child development and so I've been able to teach everything that was needed prior to kindergarden.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 2:30 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• if you truly feel happy with the One you've seen then i guess go with your gut.
    hellokitty1978

Answer by hellokitty1978 at 2:32 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• That's part of it too - I'm not as concerned about "academics" in preschool. We moved specifically for the excellent public elementary school here. One of the biggest reason we decided to send our son to preschool is so he can begin to learn to listen to other adults and be comfortable in a classroom-like environment. (As well as to give mommy a break during the week.) Not that I'm knocking early childhood education (I studied EC as well and was licensed to teach elementary), but it just feels like I'm the only mom who's not making a big deal about preschool academics.
    phoofy

Comment by phoofy (original poster) at 2:39 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I think 5..... we toured 4 and I emailed back/forth w/ the director of a 5th and spent a lot of time on their website. We chose the one that was farthest away and most pricey. However it was entirely worth the cost and effort. It was a smaller private school run by 2 actual licensed teachers.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:14 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Don't go with the schools that won't allow the children on the tour! The preschool is going to be the child's environment for the most part of a day/week and they should have some say so as to whether or not they like it! Let your child's behavior and /or attitude help you to decide...see if they move around the school with a comfort and a curiousity that will make you feel good about leaving them there. Everyone has to be happy...even the purse strings! Good Luck!
    QueenAdeela

Answer by QueenAdeela at 3:23 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• None. There was only one we could afford: the preschool at the park district near our house. There were no other options so that's where my girls went. We were living somewhere else when my son was preschool age so he didn't go at all. My youngest dd went when she was 3 but then we moved away and isn't going at all at 4 (she starts kindergarten at 5).
    I just don't believe choosing a preschool should be like choosing a college. It's preschool. They sit around and color and play with puzzles and playdoh, listen to stories and learn how to sit and listen to teachers. Or, at least, that's what it's supposed to be about.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:28 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• With my youngest I looked at one. It was the best decision we made for him. We went and looked at the school, which was brand new. He loved it so much that he didn't want to leave. He was there for 2.5 years. The director/owner was originally an old friend of a friend. Now she is one of my best friends. A total win-win.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:09 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• THREE -- and counting! I have found "something" wrong with every one!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 11:02 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I talked to about 4 ..........I called toured but you have to decided which preschool makes you comfortable and also other factors like location... and things when making your final descion
    shorty2_02

Answer by shorty2_02 at 7:35 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I visited 20 preschools before deciding on the one we choose. I love it, he loves it, and we are happy. We are sad though because this is the last year for him. I looked at academics, qualifications of teachers, accreditation, etc.

Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:10 PM on Jan. 25, 2011