Just started my son on yogurt...I'm worried he may have some sort of allergy to whole milk since he's having a lot of gas and diarrhea. But i don't see any rashes, etc. Should i worry or does he just need to get used to it?

joli13

Asked by joli13 at 3:48 AM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well there is a way u can find out if its the whole milk or not. Gerber has this little yogurt bites, they are actual kinda freeze dry or something, my 2 yo had problems like yours, and I did the same thing, worked lke a charm, she also had the chance to fed herself. When I went back to milk, she did the same thing again. Her doc told me to keep her on formula awhile longer, had more vitamins in that anyway. I tried milk again at 13 months her system was moe mature, never had a problem since./
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 6:37 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• It could be an allergy if he's having diarrhea. Talk to the dr about it. Hold off on giving him any for a bit.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:56 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• It is possible how old is he?
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 4:17 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• 9 months. he loves the yogurt. no vomiting, or anything really serious. i assumed his digestive system just needs to get used to the whole milk. and he only eats a couple tiny spoonfuls a day. his doctor hasn't said anything about an allergy. but, i hate to see my little guy having diarrhea.
    joli13

Comment by joli13 (original poster) at 5:38 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• If it makes him sick, don't give it to him.

Dairy should not be introduced before age 1

Answer by rkoloms at 6:37 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• My daughter also had diarrhea when I first started her on yogurt. That was around 8 months. I stopped giving it to her and tried again at 12 months and again she had diarrhea. I just tried again about a couple weeks ago and she's 17 months and she did fine. I think her digestive tract just wasn't ready for it. I definitely wouldn't keep feeding it to him and get used to it. Do you want to eat something that gives you diarrhea even if you like the taste?

Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 2:17 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I wouldn't give anything dairy till 12 months. His body probably isn't ready for it.
    tys_mama

Answer by tys_mama at 6:46 PM on Jan. 25, 2011