How do you control dust in a very old house?

nerdyI dust 2x's a week, sweep 2x's a day, mop daily, and vacuum daily and I still cannot keep up with the dust!! Help!!!

ali_1107

Asked by ali_1107 at 6:44 AM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I'd love to know that as well!! We dust daily!
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 6:51 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Here are a couple of things - hope something helps!

1) Take off your shoes when you come in the house, then you aren't tracking more in from the outside (even if your shoes aren't muddy or anything like that).

2) This one could be kinda pricey, depending on how big your house is and how thoroughly you do it (like if you pay someone to do a complete job, or if you do it DIY and not get into it too deeply) - but you can try pulling the covers off your heating vents and having your duct work vacuumed out / stick a hose in it and try to vacuum some of it out yourself. (Turn the heater off first, of course.) You would be surprised how much dust gets in there over the yrs and blows around the house.

3) Along the lines of #2, check / change the air filters on the air intakes on the houses - on a lot of older houses, this will be a big grate looking thing, usually in like a hall or something...

gl!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 7:01 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I dust every other day to avoid any further problems.
    Mothertobe2011

Answer by Mothertobe2011 at 7:34 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• If you have ductwork/vents, you can take the covers off & put cheesecloth under them, then put the covers back on. The cheesecloth will capture a ton of dirt & dust and keep it from blowing around your house to settle on your things. However, if you have an old house like mine that doesn't have ductwork/vents, then you're just going to be stuck dusting every day or two to keep up with it.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:34 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I agree with the duct cleaning suggestions. It can be surprising how much dust collects in and disburses from the air ducts.

Also, you might try getting an air filter. My sister has really bad allergies and uses them to clean the pollen from the air in her home. She has one in her bedroom and one in her family room. She says the amount of dust on her furniture was reduced when she started using them. GL. :-)
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 7:01 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Something else I remembered.....humidity. If your house is dry, then it will create & kick up more dust, but if your house has good humidity, there won't be as much dust to float around.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 7:27 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I have the same problem (house built in 1880). I had my duct work cleaned, and it was only a month before it was back to the way it was. I was so disappointed. I've resorted to dusting every other day with one of those swiffer things.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:38 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Yep, check the ductwork and make sure the windows and doors have proper seals.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:34 PM on Jan. 26, 2011