How old does a child need to be before you can remove the safety latches from the cabinets and drawers?

My daughter will be 5 in October.

emsmom01

Asked by emsmom01 at 5:16 PM on Jul. 7, 2008 in General Parenting

• mine are 6 and 7 and we still have them on our cabinets...although our 7 year old can open them...so I don't think it does much good for him....

I say as long as she can't open them herself then leave them.... It doesn't hurt her any that they are there....
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 5:19 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• I think she is probably old enough. i know with the boys by 3 or so they wereoff(most broke off thanks to having strong boys with determination). we never really had them for kailey and she has been fine all 4 years. i think you know what is right for your daughter. when you feel safe!
    moonbeamgirl

Answer by moonbeamgirl at 8:04 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• 5 should be old enough.. if they haven't learned yet then a few finger squishes will teach them :) plus they are old enough to understand cause and effect and where the pain came from.
    Ambreelulu

Answer by Ambreelulu at 8:17 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• I've lived in my house for 8 1/2 yrs and they are still there! Most are broken, but they are there. I left them on. When they were old enough to figure them out, they just opened them. If they can figure them out, they should know what not to touch. I always made sure the ones for under the sink and anywhere we kept poisons were secure, though. Until they were about 5 or 6.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 10:06 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• I think now would work. My kids are 2 and 3 and I no longer have them on. I did up until about 6 months ago but when we moved here, and had a yard and more to do, they weren't interested.

I let my kids (with permission only) get straws or other things out of the fridge or pantry to help me, or help put groceries up. They also help me get dishwashing caplets and put them in themselves (into the dishwasher).
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 11:47 PM on Jul. 7, 2008