Dealing with a crazy MIL?

My MIL is insane. This morning, my 5 year old son was having trouble getting roused and eating breakfast. I have told him he has to eat or he will be late. Finally at 7:30 when they left, he was out the door. There is snow on the ground and its hard to walk on. She ends up screaming at him since he isn't walking fast enough, throws his backpack in the car and pulls him and yells at him to get into the car. I am talking to my husband about moving out of here because I am not putting up with her psycho mental patient crap. She causes drama around here 24-7 and I can't deal with it.

Wiccangirl24

Asked by Wiccangirl24 at 7:41 AM on Jan. 25, 2011 in General Parenting

• Then you should take him. SHe sounds stressed out and prolly does not want to car pool in the cold weather with snow. Hello? Be grateful.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:07 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Was she trying to get to work on time? Where was she taking him? Obviously it isn't good that she screamed at him, but if she's taking him to school or day care, you need to make sure he's ready to go when she needs to leave. I agree that she sounds stressed out.
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 8:36 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I say there is always issues with living with inlaws if you can move out you should
    mrssimpekware

Answer by mrssimpekware at 8:56 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I think that I just wanted an answer. Not to be judged or criticized. I think that some women on here need to help out the mom who has the problem not the grandmother who is acting like a psycho. Just so you all know. he was ready for school and he is a five year old who had trouble walking in the snow. I honestly think that people need to think about their answer before they give one. Don't talk to me about being grateful or anything like that. You have no clue what we deal with everyday in this house. We are trying to get our own place but its hard when you are not a welfare mommy who milks off the system like many of the women in this world do.
    Wiccangirl24

Comment by Wiccangirl24 (original poster) at 9:47 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Yes, I do. I have a clue because I was in your shoes. I walked into situations like that all the time. My mil was like that but she felt very overwhelmed at times and that is a coping mechanism on her part. So please do not take it personally, just understand she is an inlaw not your own blood and she is doing what she does to the best of her capabilities. It sucks with the negative bad weather and early mornings are taking its toll on her. I know because my mil was just like that and I went through the same thing. If you do not liek the attitude make other arrangements like the way I did. I paid someone to do it instead of my mil and she shut up real quick and felt relieved because she was just too stressed out to do it anymore. FInd a solution and do not get offendeded.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Could you get him in the car for her? Do you not have a vehicle to take him?
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 1:38 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I think that if you are living in her home, you need to take a step back & try to recognize what exactly that means to her. If you've never had your own place, maybe you can't. I don't know. But it is hard for grandparents to have their adult children & grandchildren living in their homes; I know this, because I did it for six months. Then I found a place for myself & my sons. And I am not a "welfare mommy." As long as you are there, you need to show your appreciation for the fact that because of her, crazy as she may be, you & your children have a roof over your heads. Do whatever you can to express your gratitude. And if you notice that your MIL can't handle the kids, then take over. They are yours, after all. That is, quite honestly, how you have to deal with it.
    Amithyst

Answer by Amithyst at 4:13 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I think you need to get out of there as soon as possible.
    MelissaCarole

Answer by MelissaCarole at 5:39 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• We did have out own place for a year before we moved in. We want to get our own place again.
    Wiccangirl24

Comment by Wiccangirl24 (original poster) at 6:18 PM on Jan. 28, 2011