Why is it so easy to assume things about other races?

I was just reading an article in one of my groups and I have to say that it got me to thinking about how different races judge and assume things about other races and I think that it's really sad. I know that the media plays a role in it, as well as other things, but if you are not the other race or races, how exactly do you know what someone goes through.

I know as a black woman that I have been followed in stores and it has been assumed that I might steal something based on the color of my skin and that's just wrong. I know that most people assume that most blacks are lazy and that we want to sit on government assistance and that's not true. I know that a lot of black people feel that all white people are racist and they don't trust them. I knew a lady who said that white people can't be trusted and I stated to her that she shouldn't feel that way because one bad apple doesn't ruin the whole bunch. I'm aware that people assume that mexicans are dirty and have a house full of people and that's just plain silly.
Alot of people automatically assume that asians know karate or some form of martial arts, when most of them don't.

I think people who are racist and narrow-minded are that way because it takes too much effort to educate themselves about other races, therefore, a lot of people continue to hold on to their negative beliefs even if they are wrong. I don't judge people based on skin color because that's not the right way to treat people and I teach my daughter to get along with everyone regardless of race or skin tone.

browneyes27

Asked by browneyes27 at 7:48 AM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• People can just be plain stupid. Rather than use their own minds to consider person for who they are not what they look like(skin color, religious beliefs,etc) They pass judgment based on a stereotype. It's sad but sometimes ignorant people just can't be helped.

how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 7:52 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• people do it out of pure ignorance! im proud to say im not one of those, im from brazil and growing up i always had friends of all races and ethnic backgrounds . And like you said one bad apple doesnt ruin the whole bunch!
    MsBrazil86

Answer by MsBrazil86 at 7:53 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Media, ignorance, what they are taught by their parents and others.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:01 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• It's mainly ignorance...people thinking they know more than they actually do...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 8:33 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I agree- ignorance and lack of actually interacting with others
    I grew up outside of DC in a racially mixed/high income area
    I know many people of all races that had high paying govt jobs- I learned early on that all races are capable- it was a great way to grow up
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 8:41 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I think it is pure stupidity and i think it starts at home if parents would teach their children to respect other people it would go along way
    mrssimpekware

Answer by mrssimpekware at 8:54 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• "I know that most people assume that "

Figure out why you are generalizing about everyone else, and you'll see why anyone is generalized about.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:25 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I'm aware of what it means to generalize

You keep saying that, and yet you keep doing it and insisting you're not. But you've done a good job of answering your own question - in GENERAL, it happens because people think it's something everyone else does, but that they would never do. (see, that's another generalization, that just happens to answer your question)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:46 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• OP- I think her point is not personal but rather saying-its human nature to generalize- so many people do it- not saying its right or wrong-just saying its done by so many and they do not even realize they are doing it-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:51 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• That's so true, people are very ignorant when it comes to those things. I know that a lot of black people are criminals as well as other races, but why can't the news ever show us doing something positive for once?
    browneyes27

Comment by browneyes27 (original poster) at 7:57 AM on Jan. 25, 2011