Do you think that all Doctors offices should have a "well" and "sick" waiting room?

YES!!! I think they should really enforce this. Not just at a pediatrician office. I took my 5 yr old yesterday to her local Family doctor because her ear was bothering her. My kids have never had ear problems except recently my 8 month had 2 ear infections. Anyways after an hour of waiting there the other patients in the waiting room starting talking. Not one, not two but five different people all had the flu. I was sitting there with my 5 yr old and almost 9 month old baby. You can only imagine how I felt at that moment. I got up and pushed my stroller and % yr old outta that waiting room and told them they needed to seat us somewhere else because too many people had the flu.

jbond83

Asked by jbond83 at 8:03 AM on Jan. 25, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think that is a good idea because I don't want my child around all those sick people either. What a good question. Yes, sick people should have to be in a seperate room because they might get other people sick.
    browneyes27

Answer by browneyes27 at 8:07 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Patients like it. And it encourages a better patient return rate because they are happier and feel like their needs are being addressed.
    Truth in the matter is really that it makes no difference in your kids exposure to illness.
    Everyone is walking in the same door? Leaving out of the same door? Seeing the same staff?
    Sick patients don't come in a different exit do they? does only one Dr and one Asst see sick patients that day?
    It's an illusion to keep the clients happy.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:13 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• How do you know those people had the flu? Are you the doctor? Never assume.

No, there shouldn't be a separate waiting room for sick and well people. It is a doctor's office, the majority of the people there are sick. Teach your children to stay with you, cover their mouths,wash hands, etc. You cannot keep your children from germs, they are EVERYWHERE including your house.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:08 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Jewjewbee took the words right out of my mouth. It makes patients feel better about going to a particular doctor, it doesn't do much in the way of stopping germs.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:42 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• My son's doctor has antibacterial wipes and if a kid is sick they will hand the lollypops or candy over instead of using their hands.I have been in both and I would much rather be in a well room than in a room waiting for a 15-20 minutes while someone is coughing and is announcing they have a stomach virus. I have done both rooms and personally in my opinion have seen the difference. It is not an illusion at all. So not. That is why my doctor is so popular . A concept that works..........
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 8:17 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Yes, it is. They scrub after every patient from what I saw with my own eyes, and sick/well rooms has been in effect for over ten years in his office. let's just say I have not caught not one cold or virus there ever and neither has my husband or son. To each his own, but this works for my doctor and for his patients. Don't knock it unless you try it. That is an added plus and no wonder he has a waiting list just to have him as a doctor.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 9:29 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Ours does! I don't think this is a bad idea.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:59 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• My son's pediatriician has been doing this for years. Good concept if it was enforced but once the well room gets full, where do you think people end up? In the hall ways , by the door and some go into their cars. My son's doctor does not mind. I think it is a good idea.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 8:05 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• thats only partly helpful since at some point you have to be in the same area and it only takes moments to catch a bug.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:06 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• But if it is available, it is a great option. It works with my doctor.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 8:09 AM on Jan. 25, 2011