Apnia Monitors

My twins were born 10 weeks early and sent home from the NICU with Apnia monitors. They've been free of any serious alarms for nealy a month and may be coming off the monitors within the next few months. I'm scared. At least with them on the monitors I know if they're breathing or when their heart rate drops or rises. How can I feel a sense of security without the monitors there anymore. I bought the motion sensor monitor for their cribs and need to know do they work and if not, any suggestions?

djevica

Asked by djevica at 6:52 AM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter had 2 apnea episodes on day 3 of life. She was full term, birthmom had an infection when she delivered. They believe my daughter may have had infection too, resulting in the episodes. Any way, they told me they would most likely send her home w/a monitor. she was in the hospital 10 days on antibiotics, and came home with no monitor. They ran a printout for 24 hrs. and she showed no signs of any irregularities. I was very nervous, but had confidence the drs. knew what they were doing. AND yes, I was checking her every 5 minutes when we got home the first day. It was scary, and I only really lost alot of sleep the first night.

By now your babies brains have matured, so all should be ok. I"m sure the drs. wouldn't take them off them monitors if still warranted.

chuggerboysmom

Answer by chuggerboysmom at 8:12 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• two of my three kids come home on an apnia monitors. My oldest is off his now and my youngest is still on it. When my oldest came off of his I was glade a little scared , but I know he would be fine. It hrd when they come off there apina monitors but good at the same time. The doctors know when your child is safe to be tooking off the monitor.
    vmznt

Answer by vmznt at 8:33 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• My twins were on the apnea monitors when they came home. They had no episodes for at least 2 weeks. I don't know if you ever get past being scared. I still check to make sure they are breathing sometimes and they are almost 1 year old.

The doctor wouldn't take them off if it wasn't safe to do so. It's hard though because you go from looking at monitors all the time in the NICU, to looking at the lights on the apnea monitors at home.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 6:43 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• hey, my daughter was a full term baby and was diagnosed with sleep apnea and had to stay in the hospital an extra week AND we had to take classes (such as CPR ) to even bring her home. They sent us home with an apnea monitor, but she never had any breathing episodes....so by the time her pediatrician took her off of it, I felt pretty comfortable with it not being there, but kept a close eye on her. She is 4 now and I still look in on her several times a night! LOL
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 12:09 AM on Nov. 16, 2008