How do you really feel about male cheerleaders?

not just grown in college or pro cheerleaders, but boys in elementary and middle who cheer. Personally, I am all for it. I enjoyed cheering when younger, coached a while for my youngest, who still cheers, and my 13 yo son has decided after seeing her practices and competitions he is giving it a go this session. He registered for the next session last night, and showed the coach some AWESOME triple toe touches and other jumps. I had no clue he could do that. Morgan can do one, just one, good one. She can do 3, but nowhere near as perfect as his (though I do not tell her quite that lol)
I just wonder what other moms opinions are. He is not the only boy - we have 2 other boys, both older, on the level 3 & 4 squads.

Theescha

Asked by Theescha at 8:08 AM on Jan. 25, 2011 in General Parenting

• I don't think there's anything wrong with boys cheering any more than there's a problem with girls cheering.

Now, I do have to say though, I do have some problems with cheering, because I saw way too many parents who let their kids cheer at young ages and there was a HUGE focus on sexualization of the whole thing. Cheering in and of itself is fine, but 8 yr old girls (and younger) don't need to lick their finger while thrusting their hip out, flip up their skirt and put their finger on their butt cheek.... (yes, I saw this, among other things...)

But, to be fair, I also know that there are a lot of dance classes that do the same sort of thing, and both my kids (boy and girl) took dance, so...

lol - I guess what I'm saying is as long as it's not being done to sell sex, but for a sport and for fun, I don't have a problem with boys or girls doing it.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:19 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I'm all for it....I think it's great that you let your kids just be themselves and pursue interests rather than making them fit into a "box"
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 8:10 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I believe children should be left totally free to choose what makes them happy to do. If that's cheerleading then it's cheerleading! As long as they are happy and content, I am all for it.
    Marianne140

Answer by Marianne140 at 8:11 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I'm for it my brother was a cheerleader in highschool and I know of girls going out for football (I wanted to but as anna92464 stated they wanted me to fit in a box). I've always said I will support my girls in whatever they wanted to do so long as it's legal lol.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 8:20 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Oh - if anyone gives him any grief over it, he can simply smile and point out that for yrs, ALL cheerleaders were boys - so actually, it's the GIRLS that are the "newcomers" to it... :-)

Then he can point out that the professional, competition grade cheerleading teams that have boys on it have to have those boys start somewhere..... And it's sort of like male ballet dancers - they have to be just as strong as, say, football players, and in just as much shape, but they have to do everything they do while looking graceful....

Hope he enjoys it :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:22 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• that people really need to get over the stereotyping and deal with it.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:13 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• funny. We just had this discussion saturday night. My son had a bunch of friends over & half of them said the only reason they would cheer is to look up girls skirts, the other half said they wouldnt do it because its a sport for chicks. So i would go with they are being creepsters.
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 8:15 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Thanks ladies - I am all for it too. But after registering him, I wondered if he is going to catch slack fromt he general public about it. I do not raise them to hide or lie about who they are/what they do. Nor do they base decisions on others opions such as stop cheer because others do not Heaven help tose who speak negatively in front of him about it hee hee
    Theescha

Comment by Theescha (original poster) at 8:16 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Actually the guys that do it love it. When they get teased they simply point out they get to talk with and hang with the hot cheerleaders all the time...even get to touch them during the routines. Not a bad deal for most guys.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:21 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I think it's great, cheerleaders are athletes. There are also plenty of scholarships for cheerleaders. Pretty smart as well - he has easy access to all the pretty girls! LOL

Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:21 AM on Jan. 25, 2011