How often do cats need to get shots?

I have a 5 year old. She got all her shots about a year ago. So I am wondering if it's time to get them again?

Lobelia

Asked by Lobelia at 8:17 AM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Pets

• Rabies is required by law and it's every 1, 2 or 3 years, depending on the state. The others vary by vaccine type. It is more important that your cat be seen to make sure it's healthy. Cats hide everything and you may not notice until they are very ill. Catching a problem sooner rather than later is a HUGE reason why I take my kitties to the vet every 6-12 months for their examinations blood work.
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 8:49 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• yup! they should get boosters and a rabies shot one a year. recommended that they get a heartworm test and a fecal test, too, but those can be expensive. and law require that animals be up on their shots, not their heartworm and stuff! so if you got the $$, get the whole check up, if not at least get the shots! :)
    itzmyzoo

Answer by itzmyzoo at 8:21 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• they're supposed to get it once a year. My mom says she goes every other year though to get her cat's chots.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:03 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• in the past it has been once a year but a lot of vets are going to every three years like the rabies. They do however evaluate each cat because some may need them ever year just because of where they live or how often they come in contact with other cats.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 10:22 AM on Jan. 25, 2011