Ever wonder why divorce rates are so high with our generation?

Do you think people don't know one another well enough? Do you think women have learned to be stronger and not as submissive as they were back in the day of our grandparents.....because I don't think my mum is submissive LOL Is it because of financial differences that weren't around 20 years ago, such as credit cards? Both parents working out of the home? The way the economy has changed? Lack of spirituality? Did our parents not "teach" us what all is entailed into a commitment, since they were so overyly busy just making ends meet in this changing society? Changes in how society views divorce these days where back when it was frowned upon?

Just continuing to wrap my head around why I have become a statistic. I think it's a combination of all the reasons above. Makes me wonder if my children's generation will go to one extreme or the other. As in less marriages because things don't work out....or just even higher divorce rates.

2BlondeBabies

Asked by 2BlondeBabies at 8:29 AM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Relationships

• I think the reasons for a divorce are very personal and private and it's no one's business why a couple's marriage does not work. The reason only matters to the persons involved. There are so many reasons why a marriage can work or it can fail, and it's different for each couple. People are different, personalities are different. We all have strengths and weaknesses. Walk in someone else's shoes before you can say whether they should remain married or not.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 2:40 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• a lot of people in our generation do not respect the sanctity of marriage.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:31 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Divorce rates rose in the 80s TREMENDOUSLY. Before that most people tried to work through problems and it was not the norm to divorce. In turn children born during that time and after learned divorce was normal, where people before that may have thought it was taboo. Its all learned behavior. We think well I love this person and if it doesnt work I can leave. Maybe we dont think it consciously, but the thought IS there somewhere in our minds.

Answer by gemgem at 8:44 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I dont think a woman has to be submissive to her husband to make her marriage work, it is about give and take..
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 8:47 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• In my case, I got married young (19) before I even knew who I was. I stayed married for 13 years, and I just couldn't make it work any more.

I have to wonder that if divorces were as easy back then as they are now, and the laws were similar, if the divorce rate would be the same? It wasn't until the 70's that child support was even awarded in divorces, if a woman was a SAHM she was stuck financially - dependent on her ex for his generosity.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:36 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• people give up too easy....peoples expectations in marriage are unrealistic...divorce is not seen as such a bad thing as it once was...marriage is seen as disposable rather than permanent...lots of reasons....and im divorced too hun, there is wonderful life after divorce...i couldnt be happier now
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 8:37 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I agree with tnm. I also believe women have become more independent and liberated and men don't know how to control us anymore...lol.  House holds have to have two incomes to manage now-a-days and we women have found we can do more than we were taught and so we have become less submissive because we are too damn tired...lol.  And this can cause a strain on a marriage.  

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 8:43 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Divorce is only high in our generation because it wasn't okay to divorce in previous ones. My great grandfather beat his wife to the point of unconsciousness but she COULDN'T divorce him even though she should have... There was no where to go. She and her 6 children would have been shunned and homeless. So she stayed. Many Many Many women (and men) stayed in marriages where things were dangerous, unhappy & violent simply because they HAD TO. And because of that divorce rates were lower. But does that mean we should go back to living like that just because they are higher today? HELL NO! If there is no love, no happiness... If things are violent or dangerous... You SHOULD divorce! No one should have to live in misery, pain or fear simply because they are married. If divorce had been an ability years ago, like it is now, we wouldn't think of our numbers as high, we would just see them as normal.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:57 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Get real. Father's already have a boat load of rights with the no-fault divorces, so much so that the ex-wifes don't have a chance once the ink dries on the paper! Things have changed over the years but it's still not equal rights.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:38 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• People go into marriage with too many unrealistic expectations. Then, the first time they have an argument, or things get rough, they cut and run. "Til death do us part" doesn't mean anything anymore.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 9:09 AM on Jan. 25, 2011