What is the answer to the lack of health care/rising costs in our country?

I know how many people are really against the healthcare reform that was passed last year. I have a lot of issues with it myself. But, what is the answer? There are so many people who have no health insurance, can't afford medications, can't afford needed treatments and frankly, my husband and I are one job away from being in the same position (if we lost his insurance for any reason). Truly, I'm interested in seeing what people think but please, no demonizing of the Democrats or Republicans.

OMG - clearly I need to clarify. I'm not sure what the solution is, but I don't think the only problem with our healthcare system is that people don't want to pay. I personally know plenty of people who cannot afford to go to the doctor on a regular basis because they have no insurance and their monthly budget cannot bear the $120 cost of an out of pocket office visit.

Having said that, I fully realize that when people chose not to obtain insurance or pay their medical bills when they can afford it burden the rest of us who do. I ask this question because healthcare is unaffordable for many people. I asked for people's opinions because clearly this is a significant problem in our country. 

sweetpotato418

Asked by sweetpotato418 at 8:29 AM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Personally, I think the legal profession - from ambulance-chasing malpractice lawyers to the law makers in Congress - is what keeps health care costs rising. If we didn't need to add in the expense of medical malpractice insurance, the cost of expensive tests that are "required" from a cover-your-ass perspective, or the myriad of governance issues and licenses doctors, hospitals and other practitioners need in order to conduct business in the United States, our health care would be much more affordable. That situation isn't likely to change since we're asking the people responsible and benefiting from the situation to "fix" it - in essence putting themselves out of a hefty sum of money.

Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 8:41 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• mrssundin, I'm confused a bit. It seems as though you are frustrated with Govt. programming and how, "they dont care if you have problems", and, "it takes over a year of seeing doctors and specialist to even be consider for SSI while having epilepsy", yet you are for Obamacare? Is that right? What makes you think that expanding Govt. programming is going to make it easier to get care? I don't understand why folks continue to put their trust into a system that is already so dysfunctional and broken.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 10:36 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• The only way I see to fix the mess is to eliminate insurance entirely. That thought concept seems to either boggle peoples' minds, or frighten them ~ but when no one had insurance, health care was affordable.

I think all schooling for any medical profession should be free if a student maintains a certain GPA. I think that hospitals themselves should be non profit and subsidized. As was mentioned, tort reform is a must. So is setting caps for treatment and/or a sliding scale based on income. Pharma companies should be banned from advertising, and the FDA shouldn't approve any med that needs more meds just for the side effects.

We don't need health care reform, we need health business reform. Right now the system relies on people staying sick so it can profit. Healthy people don't generate a profit ~ but health care should be about health, not money. That is the entire problem.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 11:04 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• What is the answer to the lack of health care
    ---
    There is no lack of healthcare in this country.
    Just of lack of people who WANT TO PAY FOR IT
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:33 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• HMOs are the problem. HMOs have always been the problem. Go back to how it was before they existed - you pay for ALL of your healtchare, and the major expenses are then reimbursed by your insurance. Your premiums no longer have to cover the cost of everyone else's ace bandages, vitamins and flu shots, and suddenly they won't cost nearly as much. When health care providers have to go back to competing instead of being guaranteed a check from the HMO, costs go down. No longer having insurance lock providers into only using certain name brands of drugs based on backroom deals between the HMOs and drug companies mean drug prices drop to stay competitive. We don't need MORE bureaucracy, we need less.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:32 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I am going to take the freedom here to assume you did not qualify because you have too much income and/or assets. And didn't qualify for SSI.
    Going with that, I will say that the other people in this country WHO DID qualify are happy there are some funds left to pay for their medical expenses.
    that and you might want to lay off the bitter coffee. I've tried to have a conversation with you, but you can't help but rattle that cage over and over can you?
    GL with your life and how you're steering it.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:29 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• "wait i didn't say i was for obama care"

K. I was asking when I said, "Is that right?" It was confusing b/c your statements appeared supportive.

I guess I'm wondering what your solution would be since no matter how much you raise the limit for assistance, there will always be someone who doesn't qualify by a few dollars.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 10:46 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Few people can afford to pay out of pocket for major illnesses, hospitalizations, emergency services for large scale injuries or long term rehab therapies. Unless you're sitting on a golden goose egg of liquid cash, No way. The system needs to be reformed, so that medical decisions are made between the patient and the MEDICAL professional..the Insurance middle man should NOT be able to deny payment for those services. How about we scale back on the layers of bureaucratic admin costs...for a start

. A system where you pay in for years, yet when services are MOST needed you are denied coverage is a broken system. Like Dr Donna said, the legal eagles are the fox guarding the hen house and they have no interest in fixing what is wrong-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:50 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I guarantee that there are thousands of people who qualify and are denied over and over again

Where I live, it is standard procedure. No disability claim, regardless of the case for it, is ever approved. It is only approved at the first appeal or beyond, and never in less than a year.

And I seriously doubt that system isn't going to expand to Obamacare once reality sits in and they realize how overwhelmed medicaid will become.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:08 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• , it is unavailable to you?
    -----
    show me an incidence please where a person in dire need has been refused medical treatment.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:46 AM on Jan. 25, 2011