• In the Spotlight:

What is the youngest age you let your DD or DS start sleeping on the top bunk bed?

I have two girls and I will end up putting them together on bunk beds. What age is a good age to put a child on the top bunk? My daughter will be about 5 when I want to do the switch. I will be so nervous for night time potty stops!

AmyLynn5398

Asked by AmyLynn5398 at 8:48 AM on Jan. 25, 2011 in General Parenting

• My younger son was 5 when I got bunk beds for he and his brother - he had the top bunk (because my older one is special needs and couldn't be on top). Never had any problems with him falling out.

Answer by missanc at 8:51 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• My son was 6 when he moved to the top bunk.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 8:51 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• My 4 year old twins have bunk beds and they do great with them. I was really scared at first too! We got full size top and bottom bunk beds and I was just going to have them both on the bottom and put the toys up top till they got older. They however had a diffrent idea and started sleeping with both of them on the top. They have had them for about 5 months now and we have not had a problem other than fighting at night over who gets which bed and if they are sleeping together on one or both on a diffrent one.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 8:53 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• my son was 5 but what i do is i get a lid to one of those storage containers and slide it in between the matress and the safety rail (just because i'm afraid he may flip over it)...he tosses and turns all night! but the storage lid works great..he has never fallen off =)
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:54 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• It depended on my kids themselves. I have a 5 yr old and a 10 yr old and I would NOT put either in a bunk bed lol. But only because they are both very wild sleepers and they are heavy sleepers too. Now my older boys were 15 mths apart and in bunk beds by the time they were 5 & 6 and I never had a problem. I would just look at the child and ask yourself if theyd roll off? Would they get up and go to the bathroom without an issue? If there is an emergency could they get themselves down? Stuff like that.

Answer by gemgem at 8:55 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Our daughter was 11 before we ever got her a bunk bed, mainly because she could not keep herself in bed when she was little and I was afraid she would fall off the top bunk.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:04 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• My son is 5 and he has had a bunkbed since the summer he just started sleeping on the top bunk in September he loves it and he is forever making forts.
    :)
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 9:18 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• My friends son who is 3, was playing around his older sibs bunk bends, fell and broke his neck. I would be very careful if I were you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• It depends on the child. My son has slept on the top bunk since he was 3. But I did it early because we found the perfect bunk. The sides were pretty high so he couldn't roll off. And it had a slide so he could slide down instead of climbing down the ladder. Now he is 7 and he still sleeps on the top bunk, Since he has been sleeping on the top we only have had one accident. He was jumping on the top bunk and hit his head on the ceiling. He bruised his neck but he never did it again. He is the youngest but he has always preferred the top. I think 5 is a good age just make sure the side ramp is high enough so the child cant roll over if they are a wild sleeper.
    True_Gator_77

Answer by True_Gator_77 at 10:13 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• My youngest is 4 and I am still terrified!
    love_my_family

Answer by love_my_family at 12:07 PM on Jan. 25, 2011