Does your child prefer one parent over the other?

My daughter favors my husband over me, and sometimes it really hurts my feelings. I think it's because I am the main care taker and I have work to do a lot, where as when my husband comes home from work he just plays with her. Don't get me wrong, I DO play with my daughter and cuddle with her and everything, she just likes the way Daddy does it better I guess.

Namaste17

Asked by Namaste17 at 9:17 AM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I know this hurts, I so remember this time in my son's life. I used to call my husband the "celebrity guest star". I'd be home doing, playing, feeding, changing, singing, all day long and as soon as my husband would walk through the door it would be all Daddy!

At different stages, my son would favor one of us over the other. If I remember correctly, at around 2 1/2 - 3 he didn't want anyone but me.

It is hard to be the primary care giver, because you are kind of taken for granted. But believe me, you are the most important person in your daughter's life. She feels able to favor your husband because she knows you are always there. And it is great that her dad wants to spend time with her & is involved. You're raising a happy, secure little girl!
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 9:24 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• My kids preferred me, but I think it's because I was the one with them all of the time. My husband is a great dad, but he wasn't really involved a lot at that age.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:19 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• dd prefers me over dh. Whenever dh holds her she always motions for me somehow.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 9:21 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• My 2 year old son is so in love with his Daddy! When my husband is home I don't get to do anything, he doesn't even want me to get his milk, Daddy has to do it. I definitely think it's because I'm home all day so he gets enough of me - and even my older kids think "mom's nicer, but Steve's more fun!" My older 3 weren't this way when they were little, because my ex was fairly uninvolved. Just be grateful that your husband is so involved and that she has that relationship.

Answer by missanc at 9:22 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• How old is your daughter? I have been told several times that little girls go through a phase where they favor daddy. thats where they coined the name daddys girl and mommas boy. My son is almost 3 and he stays under me all the time. It does get under my husbands skin at times but he just wants to be under me. I stay at home more with my son and I will with the new baby on the way (I'm having a girl in march). So honestly the times that he goes to jump on daddy gives me a little breathing room. So use that time to your advantage and catch up on some housework or even better lay down and rest. but dont take it personal. she loves her mommy and daddy the same.
    RishawnsMom

Answer by RishawnsMom at 9:27 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• awwww! how great you have such an involved husband! maybe its bc she sees you alll the time, and she sees daddy only a few hours? both my kids want me right now, but it will change.....lol. don't feel bad, she loves her mommy!
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 10:36 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Hmm see DH is VERY involved with dd, and always has been. We take turns getting up with her at night, putting her to bed, giving baths, ect.
    Namaste17

Comment by Namaste17 (original poster) at 9:23 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Thanks sweetpotato that actually made me cry, because you're right and sometimes it does REALLY hurt.
    Namaste17

Comment by Namaste17 (original poster) at 9:26 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• she just turned 2
    Namaste17

Comment by Namaste17 (original poster) at 9:30 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• My son is not even 2 and he favors me over daddy any day. When he was 9 months I had left for BCT for the military and ever since i got back he does not want anything to do with daddy. Everything is all mommy get me this and anything else he wants.
    crystiansmomma

Answer by crystiansmomma at 9:56 AM on Jan. 25, 2011