What's the big deal about saying "oh my god"?

I really don't get it. Why are some people so offended by it. The way I see it, it's an expression of disbelieve. Nothing more.

BeachMom81

Asked by BeachMom81 at 9:24 AM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• tO ME, IT'S JUST AN EXPRESSION..
    free1

Answer by free1 at 1:46 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I totally understand the confusion about why this matters, and before I became a Christian it didn't mater to me either, it was just a fact of life that I always said that phrase. Here's the deal, and this explanation might not make complete sense to you, but it's how I feel as someone who really loves Jesus. Real Christianity, not just the fake kind where it is all words never backed up with actions is all about a relationship with Jesus Christ, and for many people, myself included, He is a real and active part of my life. If I were to use that phrase then I am taking His name and using like it means nothing, and that's where the phrase "using the Lord's name in vain" come into play. When you deeply cherish someone even using and saying their names matters, so for some people it is highly offensive, and for others it means nothing. For me personally it isn't highly offensive I just choose not to use God's name that way.
    erikital

Answer by erikital at 9:33 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• It does not offend me- but because I know it offends others- I try to not use it around people I do not know well- just part of being an adult-knowing your audience-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:32 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I'm sure it is their religion is why it offends but I don't find it offensive ,I use it but try not to if I know someone who it does offend! I try to be respectful.
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 9:39 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• for the same reason homosexuals find it offensive when they hear ''that's so gay!''..it offends a group of people(most xtians/believers in God of Abraham), and therefore, shouldn't be said as an offhand remark. we revere Him as reverent and holy, and to hear such an apathethic, meaningless phrase uttered out of habit, and having nothing to do with Him, is offensive.
    JMPO
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:58 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I can see why it would offend some, do I think sometimes people are a little quick to be offended when it's used ........yeah, but in certain contexts it isn't appropriate. It used to be a common habit of mine to say it (just from it being used around me etc) but I've phased it out and now say Oh my godness or E-gads.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:22 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• There isn't anything wrong with it. God is a job description, not a name. Saying "Oh, my god" isn't taking Yahweh's name in vain (using it as an epithet or cuss word) any more than it is taking Zeus' name in vain, or Mithras, or Osiris' or any one of the thousands of human-created gods that pepper our ancient history. "My god" may be Hecate or Isis, not Jehovah. "My god" may mean satan or Lucifer. Those words "my god" suggest a personal deity. Mine. Not yours. Only christians are vain enough to take a simple job description and turn it into a religious affront to their particular imaginary deity!
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 11:51 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I dunno... What I understand even less is how someone can get upset over someone of a different belief system saying it. It's Oh MY God, not Oh YOUR God...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:09 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• because it offends their beliefs...taking god's name in vain...whatever. Like saying Gish is actually any differrent...(a) its just a word...and (b) God would know "gosh" is just a clever way of not saying god, but its really the same thing. Like darn, dang, damn.... all the same thing but only one of them is considered as "bad".
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:27 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• If you say it my response would be OH where is He ??? :-)

I do not make a big deal about it. Now where the line is crossed for me is if they say OMFG or other words like that ... I find that sick and disrespectful.

Some people find saying oh my God disrespectful ect... I mean who says oh my Allah or oh my Buddha or oh my Satan ...
    Why do people say it in the first place ?
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 10:46 AM on Jan. 25, 2011