What do I do if my newborn is constipated??

A week ago her doctor changed her formula b/c it was making her puke, giving her excessive gas, and it was running right through her. She seems more satisfied w/ feedings since we've switched, but it seems as though her stool has gradually gotten firmer over the week and this morning she was w/out a doubt constipated. Should we see about switching her formula again? PLEASE HELP A NEW MOMMY! =(

Ellsmommy27

Asked by Ellsmommy27 at 7:48 AM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Just call the doc. You dont want to keep switching b/c her body needs to get used to what shes on. You make have to but not too soon. My dd had the same issue so she was put on soy formula. It helped a lot. I also gave her prune juice diluted with water. Im not sure if your dd is too young for juice though. Just call :)
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:56 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I had the same problem with my little girl. Our doctor said to give her an half ounce of natural apple juice. This is the same as 3 tsp or 15 ml. I used a medicine feeder to give it to her becauce it was just like a pacifier or tiny bottle. The dr. said not to add karo syrup to the bottle because it isn't pastuerized enough for a baby and can cause botchulism (sp?). Your best precaution is to discuss it with your pediatrician.
    merechele

Answer by merechele at 10:28 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• when my little girl had that problem right after she was born i put alittle bit of karo syrup in her formula and it helped alot.
    Ronnies_Girl

Answer by Ronnies_Girl at 10:48 AM on Nov. 14, 2008