Should I worry if my newborn sometimes breathes rapidly?

My newborn sometimes breathes really fast and sometimes even weezes. She's not around smoke and she was a week late, her lungs are developed great. Should this worry me?

Ellsmommy27

Asked by Ellsmommy27 at 7:50 AM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Id call the dr just to be sure. It could just be some extra fluid in her lungs that will loosen up on its own. Theres nothing wrong with calling the dr all the time as a new parent! :) Shes prob fine but its better to be safe than sorry
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 8:02 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Babies sometimes sound like they are having a breathing fit. It's relatively normal, though Read this : www.kidshealth.org
    But rest assured that it's normal for young infants to breathe somewhat irregularly.
    When an infant is awake, his or her breathing rate may vary widely, sometimes exceeding 60 breaths per minute, particularly when the little one is excited or following a bout of crying. Newborns will also commonly have periods during which they stop breathing for about 5 to 10 seconds and then start up again on their own. This is known as periodic breathing, which is more likely to occur during sleep and is considered very normal. However, if your infant turns blue or stops breathing for longer stretches of time, it's considered an emergency and you should contact your child's doctor immediately or go to the emergency room.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 8:54 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I thought the same thing so i asked my dr. and she said that 100% ok. babies have a faster heart rate then ours. don't get me wrong IF SHE LOOKS LIKE SHE IS HAVING A HARD TIME GO TO EMERGENCY. but to make yourself feel better just ask your dr. :)
    MYA_MARIES_MOM

Answer by MYA_MARIES_MOM at 10:02 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• If she is wheezing you should take her to the doctor. The fast breathing is not too worrisome, but wheezing is. It is best to have her checked out to make sure she is ok. Whenever I am not sure about what is going on I call the doctor because they will know what to do, and if they are not sure they will have you bring her in.
    hutch2579

Answer by hutch2579 at 10:45 AM on Nov. 14, 2008