Do you make your own fabric softener?

If so what's your recipe and would you recommend it?

ali_1107

Asked by ali_1107 at 9:58 AM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I use white vinegar in the rinse cycle of my washing machine.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 10:00 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• All you really need is a cup of vinegar. But...I use Seventh Generation fabric softener WITH vinegar for extra softness and a nice, natural and light scent too. I pour one capful of the SG into a gallon of vinegar and then use about 1/2 cup in the fabric softener dispenser. That bottle of SG softener lasts about a year this way.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 10:01 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Ialso use vinager cider vg keep a gallon in my laundry room you cant smell it after your clothes dry and it helps your washer to it will clean the buit up soap in your machine use it all over the house even take a long soak in it and rince my hair it makes you and your feel sooo good
    MOMAKAY445

Answer by MOMAKAY445 at 10:11 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• White vinegar is awesome. DH and I did a test of it on line dried towels vs. Downey. You could not tell the difference in the way they felt.
    A little white vinegar in a spray bottle while ironing will also help take down stubborn wrinkles.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:12 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Thanks everyone! How much white vinegar do you put in during the rinse cycle?
    ali_1107

Comment by ali_1107 (original poster) at 10:35 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I don't use it- it seems unnecessary.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 11:03 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I use white vinegar, too. Since my washing machine doesn't have a dispenser, I use a Downey Ball filled to the line or slightly more for a larger or heavier load. I just toss it in at the beginning of the rinse cycle & it will open & dispense with the spinning action of the machine.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:30 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I love white vinegar. And one thing - if you use it instead of store bought with your towels, you'll find them way more absorbent.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 12:06 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• When I had a top loader, I used 1/2 cup. I now have a front loader with dispenser cup, so I pour it in to the 1st line.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 12:08 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I also use vinegar, but I put it in the bleach/softener when I start the load of laundry, next to the soap cup. Towels definitely come out more absorbent and the vinegar helps absorb and get rid of odors that may build up in my front-loader. Haven't had a smell problem since i started using vinegar!!
    hippomom1919

Answer by hippomom1919 at 1:17 PM on Jan. 25, 2011