What do i say to hubby?

I have been living in my house for 5 years now. We started remodeling last year, floors stripped, fresh paint and plans on putting new flooring and kitchen cabinets in. Well we are renting the house and whatever we do will be taken off the rent. anyway, the landlord, who is in her early 70's, and is so sweet, said she will sell it to us. but here is the catch we have to wait until the house is paid off first, because her daughters name that was on the deed is AWOL and also checked herself out the Aylsum (another story).My lanlords name is on it also. And since we dont know where she is at, she can't sell it to us yet. Everytime we ask her how much is left on the same it has been the same number for the past 2 1/2 years. Now she already has enough on her plate, she has had custody of her great grandchildren since they were babies they are now 9,7, and 5 plus she has a mentally disable daughter, that tries and help her out. I try not to be a bother but my husband said to stop doing things to the house because we probably wouldnt be able to get it. Because if she passes her children might take it from us, which we have watched her have problems with, since they live on the same street as us. I told him then why dont we move, we have been working on repairng our credit for the past year and a half. I even looked up places that has the first-time homebuyer grants. Plus i have even looked up house that are beautiful and finished with payments lower than what we pay now.

I told him that i can put off school for another year and continue to work if that what it takes, we already stopped spending more than we should, have savings, etc. What do you think i should say? To be a 60's house, its nice and is only 5 minutes away from my kids school and the shopping center. I am tired of looking for ways to fix up the house and it might be a waste of time and money. But at the same time if i have to live here i can't walk around with my floors and walls looking yucky. I am so confused. Please help.

DeeDee104

Asked by DeeDee104 at 10:02 AM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Relationships

• my husband said to stop doing things to the house because we probably wouldnt be able to get it. <<--- He is wise to be thinking this way.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:06 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I even looked up places that has the first-time homebuyer grants. Plus i have even looked up house that are beautiful and finished with payments lower than what we pay now

sounds like a different house may be your best bet
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:07 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Tell your husband that you want to buy a house if you can afford to do so, you are right you may not ever get the house your in and you don't want to poor money into something you may not get.
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 10:07 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• What do i say to hubby?
    answer... "you are right darling"
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:08 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• i agree. i figured maybe get more info on the grants so he can read about it and maybe have a set plan for the summer.
    DeeDee104

Comment by DeeDee104 (original poster) at 10:11 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I say move on, you both sound like you want a decent home and your willing to do it yourself. This poor lady may have kids that would not let you have the one your in now, so rather than put in more money and effort I'd move on......Good luck hon

zbee

Answer by zbee at 10:13 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I agree, i want to move on. just a quick question that just crossed my mind. since we took up the carpets should we replace them with more carpet or have her do it? i just keep thinking of her age and if she can afford to fix it up since i am not putting laminate flooring down.
    DeeDee104

Comment by DeeDee104 (original poster) at 10:51 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I agree with your husband and I would move.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 6:03 PM on Jan. 25, 2011