how do u lower your electric bill ???

know of any ways to lower your electric bill ?

mistik75

Asked by mistik75 at 10:11 AM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Money & Work

• switch to CFL bulbs, unplug TV's, DVD players, computers, modems, printers, cell phone chargers and the microwave at night (they use energy whenever plugged in...i put mine on power strips and turn the strips off at night).

if you have an electric dryer hang your clothes on a rack in the house and only use the dryer on sheets or towels for 5-10 minutes, other clothes will dry within 24 hours (I do a load in the am and hang it, the next morning I take it down and warm towels and do my next load)

turn lights off when not needed.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 10:14 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• This is what I did to lower my bill about $50-$75 or so. In the winter if its not too cold during the day I would turn the heat completely off and turn it on at night. Around summer I would turn the a/c on during the day and completely turn it off during night. In spring and fall there were most days I would leave the thing off for days at a time because it wasn't too hot and wasn't too cold. I realized by doing that I looked at my billing history and saw I had lowered my bill quite a bit.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 10:26 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• switch to energy bulbs and during the day wen no ones home i cut the circut breaker off in the rooms that no ones in until they come home. cut the heat off at nite becuz its hot upstairs
    kai302

Answer by kai302 at 10:33 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Top Ten Ways to Lower Your Electric Bill

Add to that list turn your hot water heater down.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 10:52 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• We got a tankless water heater - so it only heats when we want hot water and doesn't have to keep a huge tank of water hot all the time. We saw an immediate drop in our bill. But that's an initial outlay of $$ (although we bought it back in June when the government was offering rebates, plus we get a tax write off because it's more energy efficient).
    Check your doors/windows for cracks/leaks around the edges - add caulking to seal them off. Check to make sure that you have adequate insulation in the attic.

Answer by missanc at 1:45 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Another thing I forget to mention.....see if your state is "deregulated" what that means is that while you still use the same electric company you have to delivery your electricity you can choose a different company to be the supplier. If you are in a deregulated state your elec companies website will have a listing of all the companies you can use....you can visit them and choose the one with the cheapest price per kilowatt hour.

What's cool is there is no charge to switch, you don't pay the second company, it's still just the same regular bill just less....it also usually saves you on the taxes from the delivery charge. When we switched from National Grid for our elec supply to Ambit energy our bill instantly went down about $12 a month!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:56 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• We bundle up during the winter and try as hard as we can to not use the heaters. Our neighbors (apartment building) pay about $200 a month for there electric bill. Ours averages about $150. So it can save you a ton of money.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 2:37 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Our electric company's website has some energy saving tips. Yours probably does as well.

http://www.ecsc.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=22&Itemid=3125

http://www.mcecoop.com/appliances.aspx# - there are more tips under the energy tab
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 2:40 PM on Jan. 25, 2011