Do you think that organic is really better?

I read about organic vegetables and fruits, but our grocery store has only a small selection, and they aren't in very good shape. And they are very expensive. Do you buy organic anyway?

Asked by Bmat at 10:27 AM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Health

• I grow a lot of our produce organically, but I buy organic (that I don't grow) as often as possible. Yes, I really do think it's better...and for several reasons. I don't want genetically modified food. I don't want chemically-laden food. Organic standards are more responsible for the environment.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 10:34 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• sometimes i eat organic
    san78

Answer by san78 at 10:35 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Yes, I do because organic foods don't have chemicals in them. As far as the produce , they are grown without the use of pesticides that are used to keep the bugs away. I buy organic foods whenever I can because I feel that it is worth it to feed my child foods without artificiall ingredients and preservatives. It is much more expensive and that is one of the reasons people don't buy natural and organic foods, but if you can't buy everything natural then at least buy a few items. Also, I think it is a good idea to read labels and really learn what the ingredients are, I have and I was shocked at some of the ingredients that I found. Some supposedly cause cancer.
    browneyes27

Answer by browneyes27 at 10:38 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• There are certain fruits and veg that have little or no residue like avocados and bananas. Those I buy non-organic if organic is not available. But foods like celery and strawberries have more chemicals on them than one could possibly wash off. Those I but strictly organic.

Do some research for yourself. Google it. Find a local farmers market and then you will be eating local, in season and probably not certified organic ( certification is expensive) but maybe pesticide free.

Not only is it better for you, it's better for the earth in so many ways AND it tastes better. Sometimes it costs a little more but when you buy organic you are creating demand, encouraging your market to order fresh produce and voting for clean living with your dollar.

Besides all that, it's less expensive than health insurance...good luck on your journey...
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 10:39 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I always buy organic milk, I think that is important....as for fruits and veggies, I get organic as often as I can, but not always. Depends on what is available to me. In the summer I have my own organic garden for veggies. Also in the summer, for what I don't grow, I try to buy from local farmers.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 10:47 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Yes, organic tastes better and there are no wax or chemicals on them. It is much healthier for you.
    AnasMommy7

Answer by AnasMommy7 at 10:47 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• organic is better but how do we even know what were buying is really "organic" , i mean it says it on the product but couldnt they just put that on it?
    MsBrazil86

Answer by MsBrazil86 at 10:48 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• @MsBrazil: No. Organic labels are strictly regulated by the federal government. Organic foods with the label have to jump through a lot of hoops to get that little label. Unlike the "natural" claim which is not regulated and can be used whenever and wherever. There are also organic foods that don't get the label because of the costs involved with regulation.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 10:56 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• But...foods only have to have a certain percentage of organic ingredients sometimes too. You have to read labels and understand what they mean.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 10:57 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Not all stores sell great quality produce, even in the organic section. Some stores prefer to sell the general produce as they can stock more of it, because it is cheaper for them. However, Organic is better in the sense that you're not getting produce that's chalked full of dyes, hormones, spesticides, etc. Some things that do say "Organic" aren't neccissarily organic though, so you have to pay attention to what you're picking up.

It is more expensive because they have a greater risk of bugs, animals, and natural disease in their crop then those who use chemicals. They also have to wait longer for their crop to grow if they're not using growth hormones. Therefore they have to charge more to insure their crop, whatever they can manage to get, is going to profit them.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:05 AM on Jan. 25, 2011