Anyone train a dog without a crate these days?

Do you feel its mandatory to crate train?

gramsmom

Asked by gramsmom at 10:31 AM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Pets

• Our dogs have NEVER seen the inside of a crate and they were all potty trained without them. They are all 3 awesome dogs, have never had accidents, and are well trained dogs all the way around. I do NOT believe in putting them in a crate. I wouldn't put my child in one, I sure as hell wouldn't do it to an animal.
    I know a family that has been "crate" training and their Husky is stiff in the hips, not developed right, and is miserable. I have dog sat for them and she's been at our house and did just fine without the crate. She got into a routine with our dogs, and was just awesome. I took her home to them, and they couldn't believe she didn't have any accidents. I told them it's consistency and routine. She was able to roam all over the house, took her out on a lead with our other dogs, she did her business and it wasn't an issue. Don't let anyone tell you a crate is necessary, it's cruel. IMO
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 4:01 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• It's not mandatory but I've always found it easiest. Saved us a lot of aggravation.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 12:05 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I'm not sure about training much except that we used news paper and it seemed to work. I guess maybe every dos is different and will get used to any method you use and stay with. Routine will get the fastest results. Good luck. Hugs!
    TwilightMack

Answer by TwilightMack at 11:17 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Experienced and smart dog owners do because they recognize it as a safety for the dog and the home. I do know people who RAISE their dogs without a crate...but I wouldn't call any of those dogs very well trained.

If you have a medical emergency, the hospital is going to crate the dog. Dogs who have never been crated freak out, causing bigger difficulties for themselves. Most dogs, not all, but most go through a huge chewing and destructive stage. The crate keeps them from ingesting dangerous items and keeps your house from looking like a beaver was let loose in it. The dogs who are raised in crate enjoy the crate, even when they don't need them. You can make the dog's crate positive for them too.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 2:21 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Yes get a special area for the dog and training him like other dogs
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 3:55 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I use a crate with my dogs when i leave or go to bed thats where they go and thats how i house trained them
    april_f

Answer by april_f at 3:57 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Oh and btw, our dogs do very well at the Vet, etc.. They actually look forward to seeing them because they're so well behaved.... If you're going to be a responsible pet owner you should be ready to take on the full commitment, not just shove them in a crate when you're done with them... Again JMO
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 4:04 PM on Jan. 25, 2011