Apnia Monitors

My twins were born 10 weeks early and sent home from the NICU with Apnia monitors. They've been free of any serious alarms for nealy a month and may be coming off the monitors within the next few months. I'm scared. At least with them on the monitors I know if they're breathing or when their heart rate drops or rises. How can I feel a sense of security without the monitors there anymore. I bought the motion sensor monitor for their cribs and need to know do they work and if not, any suggestions?

djevica

Asked by djevica at 8:30 AM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Kids' Health

• i had this same problem. i talked to my sons dr. about it, and just told her that i was not comfortable taking it away yet. so she agreed. and she let us keep it until my son was about 10 months. hope this helps.
    kristyann

Answer by kristyann at 9:42 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• My 3 year old was on a monitor till he was 9 months old. He was a 32 weeker and has several issues with resp. infections. When he was 26 days old the montitor saved his life. Now my 13 month old is still on the monitor and he was born at 28 weeks. He STILL has alarms and just recently has had several alarm events. I can understand you being scared because it is scary when the monitor goes away.
    nyteowl

Answer by nyteowl at 11:04 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• If they are healthy and have not had issues then I would slowly ween the baby off of the montiro and when the baby naps, have the baby nap in the same room as you. W/O the monitor or the belt on. It helps you get used to the idea and at the same time you can wathc the baby while sleeping. We did this each baby and started doing that with our 13 month old but he started be a "trouble maker" with the alarms...So he wears it whenever he sleeps again...PM me if you have any questions...Been there done that am doing it too..

Are they on any meds like caffeine? My 13 month old still takes caffeine. 4 ml of it...If they are you also may want to try to ween them off of the caffeine and see what happens when they sleep. If no alarms are there then most likely they outgrew the apnea events. Then try the weening off of the montior...Just use the monitor in the evening when sleeping is longer...Make sense?
    nyteowl

Answer by nyteowl at 11:06 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• My DS was on an apnea monitor for 4 months- when he was incident free for 30 days straight he was deemed healthy and not in need of the monitor anymore. I was also scared- I bought the same type of under the mattress monitor- I didn't feel it was very good in the crib- but worked okay enough for me to get some sleep under the thinner bassinet mattress. Honestly- I kept my DS in my room until he was 6 months old- I felt safer with him in my room. Eventually as time went on and I saw how much he was growing and progressing I was ready to let him be just a baby- no wires needed. It took time- and it was an emotional journey...He's 4yo now & stronger then most kids his age : )
    litstargazer

Answer by litstargazer at 9:35 AM on Nov. 20, 2008