How can I get my 6 yr old to stop peeing the bed?

My son is 6yrs old almost 7 and is still peeing the bed. I don't give him anything to drink 2hrs before bed and wake him up between 12 and 1 am but at 7:30 when its time to get up for school his pull up is full or overflowing. Any suggestions?

kadensmom04

Asked by kadensmom04 at 10:46 AM on Jan. 25, 2011 in General Parenting

• stop putting pull ups on him. he is connecting the pull up with it being ok to pee in because its not underwear.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I've tried that too. Didn't work. and I don't have a waher or drier, I can't drive and hubby has school at night which makes it hard to get to laundry mat. After a month of trying it with out the pull up I just couldn't handle the laundry. Thank you though for the suggestion.
    kadensmom04

Comment by kadensmom04 (original poster) at 10:50 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• honestly im dealing with the same problem with my 5yr old daughter...she doesnt pee in her pull up every night but she'll do it enough that worries me if she's ever going to stop. i wanna take the pull up off but im afraid she will pee herself and the bed
    MsBrazil86

Answer by MsBrazil86 at 10:51 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• my 9 yo still has accidents. we have not used pullu ps in 2 years, they were leaking so what was the point? yes, i have to strip the bed alot, there is a plastic sheet on it and he has to shower every AM. we went to the doc about, she said she can put him on a med that help reduce the amount and therefore maybe he would not wet. but i just cannot see medicating right now. for now, we get him up at nite, and make him go! still does not work every nite!
    itzmyzoo

Answer by itzmyzoo at 10:56 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• try and make up a reward system. We made one up where they can put a sticker on the day they didn't pee and also pick a prize out of the "prize box" then at the end of the week if they didn't pee the bed then they get a bigger prize. then at the end of the month if they didn't pee all month they get to choose a family outting or a even bigger prize.
    KourtniRae

Answer by KourtniRae at 10:58 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• sorry u r going threw that problem,,,take him 2 the dr's maybe the dr can help out or suggest different ways 2 help,,,does he sneak in the bathroom n drink from the sink???lots of kids do that also,,,good luck gf,,, Irishbtch622
    Irishbtch622

Answer by Irishbtch622 at 10:59 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• my 4year old still pees the bed atleast 2-3 nights a week. i dont put pull ups on her though, for the reason that anon said. i dont want her getting confused by wearing a pull up and start regressing in daytime toileting. i just deal with the laundry, and it does suck (and i have one of those mattress covers also), but ive tried everything too, from limiting evening fluids to getting her up in the night to use the bathroom. she usually wakes up dry if she goes in the middle of the night, but there are times she still wakes up wet. and when i get her up in the night, she just pees and goes right back to sleep. i think this kind of thing has to cure on it's own, meds might help but i wouldn't do that. i wet the bed til i was 12, so it could be more hereditary for her.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:04 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• You need to take him to the doc. Bed wetting runs in my family. I am not ashamed to say I didn't stop until I was 12. It's embarrasing and when you have a parent who makes the issue hard to deal with ... it causes damage. My problem was I slept, hard. So deep in sleep I never felt the sensation that I needed to pee.

I was never put on medication. My dad (doc.), never put me in pull ups or anything. He did everything he could to protect the mattress, but when I woke up in the mornings, if I did go on myself he simply told me to get cleaned up and ready for breakfast. No disappointment in his voice, nothing just his reg. self.

Even now when I get preggo there are times where I still have an accident.

My dad was a bed wetter, my bother, I was and 2 of my boys are.

Please take your son to the doc and do all you can to make sure he knows that one day it'll stop and no matter what you love him.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 11:12 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• My doctor told me that if they haven't had a bowel movement for several hours then that can press on the bladder causing a heavily sleeping child to wet the bed. :(
    love_my_family

Answer by love_my_family at 12:06 PM on Jan. 25, 2011