Surrogacy

What do you ladies think about surrogacy?

ac9104

Asked by ac9104 at 10:47 AM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Pregnancy

• i think it's great for women who cannot conceive children but want to become mothers. i do think it's probably hard emotionally on the surrogate mother, though. it would be very hard for me to carry a child for 9 months and immediately upon birth (that i endured) hand it over, even though the child is not mine. but this is why im not a surrogate mother, and this is also why they have laws in place so they can't just run off with your baby.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:52 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• My oldest sister wants me to be a surrogate for her, and that is the main reason I don't want to do it. I don't think I could go through a pregnancy and birth, and then give the baby up.
    ac9104

Comment by ac9104 (original poster) at 10:53 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• It's a case by case basis. It's not for everyone. I want to be a surrogate, and I'm certain I could handle it because I want another pregnancy/birth experience, but I definitely don't want another baby to take home, lol. After my emotional state during my second pregnancy, I know I could handle it. But before that, I know I couldn't have.

If you have any doubts at all, the best thing to do is say no. While it is a wonderful gift, it's not one that everyone can give, and that's ok. If you go into it not sure about it, then it will probably create big problems between you and your sister, which I'm sure isn't something either of you want to live with for potentially the rest of your lives.

Ultimately, it's your decision, and you have to do what's right for you and your family.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:00 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• its great but i couldn't do it personaly
    april_f

Answer by april_f at 11:03 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I think women who can and are willing to do it are amazing. Kudos to them. I, however, couldn't. I feel that I would become too attached and wouldn't be able to give the child up. The child is a PART of you for nearly 10 months.
    aikenchic

Answer by aikenchic at 11:15 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I think that it is a wonderful gift a woman can give a couple that can't do it on thier own. I don't think I could do it myself but commend those that can.
    Baby4us09

Answer by Baby4us09 at 5:21 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• My best friend and her husband always wanted children and she wasn't getting pregnant...I told them if it ever came down to it, I'd be willing to be a surrogate for them. It didn't come to that, she is going to give birth to her second child any day now. Certain people can do it and certain people can't. I love my best friend and would've done it for her in a heartbeat. I understand women growing close during pregnancy and not being able to give the baby up as well. It's a very personal choice.
    fricky29

Answer by fricky29 at 8:59 PM on Jan. 25, 2011