My son WON'T NURSE!!! HELP!!

my son (10 wks) had his first shots wendsday... and since then he will not nurse... He will start to suck on it but after like 2 seconds he BITES down... it hurts really back then he won't take it back a will only take a bottle.... is there anything i can do to get him to nurse or is he done??? and how long can i pump for if he's not nursing?

apeclark2008

Asked by apeclark2008 at 8:39 AM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Just keep trying to nurse. Don't offer the bottle so fast. If he's hungry enough he'll take to the breast. I got an infection one time and stopped nursing and I pumped everyday for 2 or 3 weeks and then started nursing again.
    Kilahs_mommy_06

Answer by Kilahs_mommy_06 at 10:59 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• He knows that if he doesn't nurse, you will offer a bottle, and that he doesn't have to work as hard for a bottle. Personally, I'd stop the bottles. He won't starve himself. He knows how to nurse, he just needs to remember. Stay in bed topless for a weekend, if possible. Offer him unlimited access to the breast. Skin to skin is good too.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:18 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• No more bottles. They are easier than nursing, especially at first to get letdown, and he knows that you'll give a bottle once he bites.

Just nurse often, offer often, no bottles. If he bites unlatch and re-latch. He's too young at 10 weeks to understand that he's hurting you so don't bother yet with telling him no and putting him down for a minute (but keep that in mind for when he's older).

If at all possible taking a "nursing vacation" basically stock up on some foods, ice water, and chill in bed with baby topless for a full day or two. Nurse, snuggle, nurse, talk, snuggle, nurse.
    jaycee1124

Answer by jaycee1124 at 9:35 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I try 5-6 times and he bites me every time! finally he's screaming and crying so hard i can't help it anymore
    apeclark2008

Answer by apeclark2008 at 11:03 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I had a similar problem when my son was 3 months old, I even started to bleed. I gave him bottles for one day, and since then none at all. I just kept putting my finger in his mouth to stop suction or biting and I think he ended up hating it. A good thing to do is wait till he's calm, try to tire him out with playing with him and see if afterwards he gets a little tired and try then. I know this is really hard... Try not to give up you're doing the best thing....
    Anonymous

• Offer to nurse BEFORE he's actively hungry. He's likely biting out of frustration while waiting for letdown. Nursing at the first signs of hunger can help avoid that.
    jaycee1124

Answer by jaycee1124 at 2:13 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I do!!! Litle as soon as i see him Smacking his lips and he still does it!!
    apeclark2008

Answer by apeclark2008 at 3:50 PM on Nov. 14, 2008