• In the Spotlight:

What do you think of the Ipad? does it work like a large Itouch?

Does it have all the functions of a laptop?

sorry for the lame questions but i live 90 miles from the nearest computer store so I thought it would be easier to ask for your opinions

wheresthewayout

Asked by wheresthewayout at 10:54 AM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Shopping

• I LOVE my iPad. No it's not a computer, and yes you do need one to set it up, but it's just a one time thing. I've never had mine freeze, the apps can, but never my iPad. I love the versatility. I can dl a cookbook, flash cards for my son, watch Netflix on it, surf the web, play games...... The keyboard isnt bad, but they do have keyboards you can buy if you don't like the touch screen. It's very say to use, my almost 3 yr old uses it without any problem....it doesn't have a disc drive,
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 11:49 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Easy*
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 11:50 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• My DH loves his. It is NOT a laptop substitute, it just doesn't have the processing power and storage that a laptop has. It's great for games, listening to music, checking emails, etc. The touch keypad is sort of a pain to type on. I chose my netbook instead, I can carry it anywhere and I'm able to use it like a regular computer.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 5:06 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Arg... I do hate the iPad. I had the dubious joy of setting up one for a cousin --the things that thing does not do are myriad and nearly complete.

It is not a stand-alone computer --without a computer, it is not possible to set it up, at all.
    It does not come pre-loaded with so much as a document viewer.
    It has the same kind of apps as the iPhone, but it is also not a phone
    Did I mention that I despise touchscreens? I'm a touch typist, and it's not possible
    The keyboard available for it is something like 73% of 'normal size' --great for 10yos
    It is about double the price of a similarly-loaded netbook, with the disadvantage of not being a computer at all
    It, being an Apple product, freezes from time to time for absolutely no reason at all and the only fix is to reset it (that is, delete absolutely everything from it and start fresh --handy)
    I find it exquisitely awkward to hold and use, and the touchscreen often gets it wrong
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 10:59 AM on Jan. 25, 2011