What would you do??

My daughter is very smart in school and we just found out that she got accepted to a very prestige private high school. This would mean that she got a full scholarship for the 4 years she would attend. The only problem is we are a middle class American family so she would be going to school with very rich upper class Americans. The tuition is $20,000 and that would be covered. What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I would let her go, give her the best opportunity that I could give her.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 11:00 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I would ask my child what she wanted to do. Will this school really benefit her academically? Will there be too much peer pressure to 'have what everyone else has"? Rich gets get in to as much trouble as poor kids. Sometimes worse because they have lots of money available. I would have to weigh all of it out and make a family decision.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:00 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• The school is great with 100% of kids going off to college. My daughter does want to go there. I know that rich kids also get into trouble like you said even more.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:02 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Well... since both my kids were homeschooled....

I would disregard the fact that it is private or expensive, and look instead at the school itself --the administration, the attitude of the teachers toward the students, the level of supervision (private schools in that price range often have an astonishing array of very high-end drugs available to one and all, nothing quite like a kid having $800 a week in pocket money), the involvement of the parents ...

And then compare it to the school she's going to now. It may be 'better' but it may be 'worse'. A lot of private schools are dumping grounds for children who were conceived as an accessory, an afterthought or because of family succession needs, not because anyone involved wanted to have children within 4 miles of them.

And a lot of private schools are not. Check it out.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:03 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• It really depends on your daughter,,,if she want 2 go or not,,also she might not fit in n have lots of peer pressure or even get depress :( she if she really wants 2 go or stay in a high school where r her friends r going n enjoy being ''herself''' wish u the best,good luck Irishbtch622
    Irishbtch622

Answer by Irishbtch622 at 11:05 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• This is a tough one....it will look good for her for college scholarships & for employment applications, and that is a life long thing. My husband used to work for TRW (aerospace) & happened to be in the room when management was making a decision about the next rocket scientist they would hire.....one went to MIT & 1 went to Cal State Long Beach......they're resumes were equal & apparently they both interviewed well. They picked the guy from MIT just because he went to that school.

On the other hand. Our oldest son went to high school (just a public high school) in a very affluent area. We are very middle class. He had a hard time because he was always being left out because he didn't have the money to do the things that his friends could do, and many of the kids had much nicer cars than I drove, and sometimes their shoes cost more than his whole wardrobe did. It was kind of tough.

Good luck It's an important decision.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:05 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• send her and see how she fits in if she got a full scholarship she must have desserved it good luck to her
    momofalltrades

Answer by momofalltrades at 11:45 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Let your daughter have a shadow day at the high school.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:15 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I would let her decide. Tell her about your concerns and then let her know it's up to her. Make it clear you will not be "keeping" up with any of her school friends. Congrats on your daughter getting this opportunity!
    Luuckymommy

Answer by Luuckymommy at 9:49 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• If she wanted to go, my daughter would be going. Why would you worry about it being a rich school? It is an excellent opportunity for your daughter to get a better education and get her into a good college. I wouldn't even think twice about it if that opportunity was offered for my son. There are drugs and trouble makers in every school. The Catholic high school in my city has more issues than the 5 public high schools put together. NO school is immune, some schools just do a better job of hiding the issues.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:27 PM on Jan. 26, 2011