Why won't Mexicans fix Mexico?

I want to add that why do we spend billions of money to try & straighten out Afghanistan,Iraq,Baghdad & such areas but we will do nothing to help our fellow neighbors in which so many people seem to be complaining is causing problems for us? I know that they are the ones that should be fixing things there in Mexico but obviously things have gotten so out of hand there with drug lords taking over & crimes everywhere, shootings of police officers on a regular basis that try to enforce the law but are being run down & taken over. Opinions please

iluvmykidsxoxo

Asked by iluvmykidsxoxo at 11:04 AM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Same reasons Hatians don't fix Haiti - the people at the top make better money by not fixing it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:05 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Well, I suppose we could just take over and make it the 51st state. That way they would all be legal. School kids wouldn't have a reason to riot, there wouldn't be any more arguments over which states really belong to Mexico, everyone would be paying taxes, and we could arm the NG and take out the drug lords (or just toss a few bunker busters into their homes).

On second thought ~ no. Mexico's problems aren't our problems. We haven't blown anything up there that we're obligated to 'fix'. The only thing the US gov't. should be doing is making sure their problems stop spilling over our borders.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 11:13 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Why won't the Americans fix the US? Personally, I think that should be our highest priority.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:19 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Same reason American politicians don't fix America.....

Comparing what goes on here to what's going on in Haiti and Mexico is grossly insulting to the people who live in those countries and the things they're going through. It's a little more serious than fairly elected politicians throwing tantrums.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:57 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

You took the words out of my mouth.
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 11:21 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• WE ARE UNEMPLOYED, not them

I'm not going to compare people who have dozens of food pantries and social services at their disposal to people who are literally eating dirt and say they're all in the same boat.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:23 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• So the suffering Americans aren't suffering enough to compare? ...I disagree....

I wasn't aware it was a contest. Just seems pretty classless to me to suggest that someone who skips a meal once in a while can even remotely relate to what someone who hasn't eaten in a week is going through, let alone that they're in similar circumstances. I'd liken it to comparing Katrina survivors to someone having a tree break their window on a windy day.

But if you really feel it's an equitable comparison - exactly which of our leaders are pocketing millions of dollars in foreign aid that is supposed to be helping impoverished Americans?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:59 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I think we should help them, right after we help US. I'm from Louisiana and the aftermath of katrina is still not fixed.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 11:16 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Americans could stop using drugs.

Change the laws HERE to make drugs a legal and gasp, profitable business for THIS country. Hey, and open up a few jobs, but the crooks and Pollyannas here have no interest in that kind of change.

I think we need to focus on THIS country. Our officials are becoming as corrupt as those in many other countries. Notice how the wealth is more and more concentrated in the top 1-2%? How many of our current law makers fall in that top tier? So they control the wealth and have the power to legislate- How appropriate is that system?

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:21 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Big oil, money etc. What investment do we have in Mexico? Drugs? Why don't we make sure what is broken here is fixed before moving on to others problems? There is no simple answer. I have no problem with immigrants...of the legal sort. What I DO have a problem with is immigrants who come here and want to change things to their way. When in Rome I say. I am not moving to Italy to bitch about how their drivers license test is not in English...I would learn Italian if I were going to consider myself an Italian....

salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:02 PM on Jan. 25, 2011