Should he continue or not to pay child support?

My ex-husband and I have 3 children together. I have custody of our children. He sees them for reg visitation. Beginning last week, he wants to stop paying child support to me (a whole $100 a week) and only continue to purchase school uniforms and shoes. The other part of agreement is that me and my spouse claim all 3 as dependents starting next tax year. This year I allowed him to claim 2 bc he had paid child support thru the yr. I am a stay at home Mom. My fiance pays for all medical, dental, household expenses. We receive NO type of gov assistance (i.e. food stamps or medicaid). Please give me your honest opinion of the situation, bc I am having trouble deciding if this is fair to our children, bc I always spend the child support on them. It's usually clothing, shoes, and occasionally a new toy.

ProudMommy3686

Asked by ProudMommy3686 at 11:09 AM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Of course isnt' not fair to your children. Why would you agree to stop it?
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 11:10 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• He should pay child support, and you really shouldn't let him claim them on his taxes since you and your fiance pay for so much more than your ex.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:11 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• he should pay
    miritrose

Answer by miritrose at 11:11 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• yes, he should. if for nothing else, you could put the money into interest-baring accounts for their futures/colleges expenses. its his duty to support his children, no matter how well your current dh does.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:12 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• do the children live under your roof more than 50% of the time? if so, you should have claimed them all, regardless of him paying child support. that should not be a claimable expense for him.

and no, you shouldn't put a stop to it. each of your children deserve that money. whether it goes to help out with household bills, or buys them new clothes, it's support for them.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:12 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Why do people keep saying you must claim your kids. Many many places have it written into the child support that the ex gets to take turns claiming the kids. It's his reward for paying half the cost of raising the child. (Well, half according to the courts)
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 11:15 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• of course he wants to stop paying
    but why would you even consider think of letting him off the hook for supporting his children?
    i guess if you and your new husband are very well off, you could allow ex to not pay
    but if you are regular people making regular wages, your ex should be expected to support his children
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 11:16 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• @candi, because they don't pay anywhere NEAR half of the cost of raising a child. OP says she gets $100/wk, for 3 children. that's bogus if you think he's paying half the costs. why should he get a break on taxes for supporting HIS children? and he can actually get in trouble for tax fraud if he wasn't suppose to claim them.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:18 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Wow, I wish i was dealing with you as my step mothers child. We pay $300 dollars a month, she makes damn sure she spends NONE of it on my step daughter... and we can't even file my step daughter as a dependent. I sometimes think we shouldn't pay child support...since it honestly just goes for her mother and new boyfriend to have fun with....while my family is suffering.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 11:19 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Thank u all so much for replying. @ CANDI, As i stated in my question, he only has visitation. he sees them every other weekend only. During summer he gets them for 1 full week, and 3days for Christmas. The rest of the time they with me. Thank you to all the other ladies for ur helpful advice
    ProudMommy3686

Comment by ProudMommy3686 (original poster) at 11:25 AM on Jan. 25, 2011