Fast Foods from China...

I drove through the Tim Horton's in my neighborhood yesterday, and ordered an apple juice for my son because we were running short on time and he was very thirsty. I was handed the bottle and began to open it as they were running my debit card through the machine. After I had fully twisted the cap off, I saw that the bottle was marked with a note that the concentrate had come from Bangladesh (I believe... if memory serves) and China. (Read below... out of room.)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:42 AM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Kids' Health

• I mentioned before that I was going to go online and send a note to TH to see what they had to say about the employee who wouldn't exchange the apple juice for something different for my son... and I got a call back! Someone from their corporate office called and left a VERY nice answering machine message for me, stating that the employee should have simply exchanged the apple juice, regardless of whether I had opened it yet or not. Talk about wonderful customer service... I had expected an email, and instead received a call! Needless to say, I remain a faithful (and addicted!) customer of this restaurant, and I am very pleased to have heard back from them so soon! In the end, I was very polite to the gal at the window, and I feel that my request was not unreasonable! I am glad to have received the other opinions from the ladies who answered this question too. Best wishes. :-)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Lately, with the powdered milk and toy scares from China, I have been a bit leery about giving my son anything that is not made in the USA. I'm not close to being obsessive about it at all, but it made me uncomfortable that the juice was marked like it was, so I was not satisfied with the product. I asked the gal in the window if I could exchange the item, even if it was for something less expensive like chocolate milk. She told me that since I opened it, I could not exchange it, so I told her to charge me for the milk (which she did) and I left irritated. I shouldn't have to be forced to have my child drink something if I had no prior knowledge of it being from China. I feel that I should have been given at least a one-time exchange. I visit this same restaurant at least once a day for coffee, so my face was by far familiar. How would you feel?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:42 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I'm sure a girl in a drive thru probably has to follow store policy. If you really wanted to press the issue, ask for a manager and go in, which as you said, you didn't have time to do.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 8:50 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Playing devils advocate, I have to agree with them. It's a business. They are not your pals. Imagine if everyone did that. You did open it. I guess it's a lesson learned. Now you will read before opening. I do admit that the employee could have been a little more forgiving being you go there once a day. Sorry that happened to you. It must have been frustrating! UG..

MomToFour247

Answer by MomToFour247 at 8:50 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• *lol* I fully understand that it is a business and every item costs money, but at the same time, I do wonder what their policy on unsatisfied customers is. If I had opened a milk that I had thought was bad, I am sure that I would have gotten a refund or exchange, and they surely wouldn't have tasted it to be sure that I was right. I know that the apple juice was most likely fine for my son to drink, but I was still unsatisfied with the product! (Did I mention that I am seven months pregnant... nothing like pregnancy hormones to make a tiny issue seem so much more important!!!) ;-)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:55 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• If you are so concerned about giving your son things from China (and I'm not saying you're wrong), then you should have looked for that info before you opened it. And you say you shouldn't be forced to have him drink something if you have no prior knowledge - but you could have looked at the package before you opened it and would have had knowledge.
    As for them not exchanging it, they are a business. There is a big difference between bad milk and something that was made in China and may/may not be bad. You can sniff bad milk and know it's bad; this juice may have been perfectly fine. They shouldn't have to lose money b/c you want to be cautious(again, not saying you're wrong.). Once you open it, they can't sell it to someone else. If it had been unopened and they refused, that would be different.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:08 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I agree with you too, Anonymous 9:08 a.m. I appreciate everyone's advice! =)

I emailed the restaurant through their website. I'll see what they say, out of curiosity, and I'll post it here in my question if I do get a reply back. =)

The basic point that I was trying to make is that if I was not happy with the item, they should have exchanged it regardless of what my concern was.. whether it was a donut, a sandwich, a coffee, or a drink. A customer is a customer, and happy customers come back. I get my coffee here every day... and at just over a buck a cup, that is a lot of money to risk losing over the course of a year (because they have no way to know that my addiction to their cafe mochas will keep me coming back!) ;)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:35 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I would have told her im not letting him drink this is taste rotten.

and i would indeed call the ceo ...of tim hortons!
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 3:27 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I agree with you, I look when I shop at the grocery store before I buy juice. One day I found some that had 5 different countries on it. It went back on the shelf.

As far as the milk...I would have told her it tasted funny/bad & asked for a replacement of something else..so I wouldn't have to pay for it.
    Kristie_S

Answer by Kristie_S at 9:54 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• omgosh! I work at starbucks and we have the most important policy in the company the one we run our buissness by "always say yes policy" I hear the other people but at one point in time we have all been there and it's nice to be taken care of no matter what the reason is for. Your investing your money. I actually don't know there system but I Know we can still mark it out and get credit for it. Which is why we don't stress the cutomer satisfaction issue cause there is something we can do. Especially if you were in a hurry how could you really be paying attention to that? Is what you did after you saw where it was from that you took action.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 3:49 AM on Nov. 16, 2008