how old should my son be when I start potty training him?

alyssbrm

Asked by alyssbrm at 11:14 AM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• whatever age he starts to show you he's ready. could be 2, could be 4. could be anywhere in between. google "potty-training readiness" for signs.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:16 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• When he is ready.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:27 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I think the longer you wait, the easier it is. It could take months to train him at 2. It will take days to train him at 3.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:32 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I've been trying to train my almost 3 yr old since Jan. 1 st!! He is finally starting to get the idea, you just have to wait until he is ready... Otherwise it can be very frustrating.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 11:40 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I agree with the others. I tried to start training my son when he was 2. It didn't work. So when he was around 3 1/2 I switched him to real underwear during the day. It took a few days and he was trained. Good luck!
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 11:45 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• AlL I know in I tried to potty train my 19 month old son and he was not taking it. I am going to give it a little time before I try again
    kelzsp

Answer by kelzsp at 12:23 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• i HAVE DONE MY FAIR SHARE OF POTTY TRAINING OF LITTLE MEN...LOL....IT HONESTLY DEPENDS ON YOUR SON...i HAVE POTTY TRAINED 3 OUT OF 4 OF MY BOYS AND LEY ME TELL YOU ALL 3 WERE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.....MY OLDEST SON WAS 3 1/2 BEFORE HE WANTED ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT. OUR 2ND WAS POTTOY TRAINED 2 WEEKS BEFORE HIS 2ND BIRTHDAY AND WAS NIGHT TRAIN BEFORE HE TURNED 3. OUR 3RD LITTLE MAN JUST TURNED 3 AND WAS DOING WONDERFUL AND THEN DESIDED HE NO LONGER WANTED TO USE THE POTTY...SO I REALLY TRUELY DO BELEIVE THAT YOU NEED TO LISTEN TO YOUR SON AND HE WILL LET YOU KNOW WHEN HE IS TRUELY READY TO USE THE BIG BOY POTTY!!!! GOOD LUCK!!!!! =)
    NIKKIJO4

Answer by NIKKIJO4 at 4:15 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• i have potty trained my 2 boys and they was way different my oldest potty trained by 1 1/2 and my other one did do it untill he was little ovr 3
    momofthree3g5m7

Answer by momofthree3g5m7 at 4:27 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• my son is 3yrs, 3 months and 30 days(gotta love the tickers lol) and he only peed in the potty once maybe twice(if it was twice one of them was pure accident lol) and that was last yr before he turned 3. He has no interest in it so i just ask him occasionally if he wants to use the potty and sometimes he will sit down on it but nothing and other times no way. So im gonna wait for awhile and see what happens, at most i hope i can get him trained by 4yrs fingers crossed.
    Mama07Shorty

Answer by Mama07Shorty at 7:02 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• you can start whenever you want to. but yes, the older the easier, but you also don't want to push him or make him go on it. he may start out great and then out of nowhere just say forget it! lol.
    i tried with my son when he was 3 1/2, didn't want anything to do with it. tried again at 4, and he was getting it. but not totally. finally at 5 he was trained day and night for about 9 months......now hes back to making me have to bribe him to go on it........
    i think he has some issues, but i also think moving and baby sister has a little to do with it. but he also has some emotional and mental things going on that we are going to get checked out.
    don't worry if he doesn't take to it right away, keep with it, and he will do fine!
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 10:31 PM on Jan. 25, 2011