• In the Spotlight:

Feminism and Housewives

My understanding of feminism is that women have the right to choose what they want to do with their lives. Right?
So why do I, and others who choose the same thing, get bashed so often? I consider myself a feminist. I think women can do whatever they want. I choose to become a wife and mother. No one forced me into this, I choose it, and I am very happy. My best friend owns her own business. I'm all for that, and think it's great.
So, why is it wrong for me to choose to be a wife and mother?

PLEASE don't turn this into a bashing post, I just want some women's honest opinions.

ac9104

Asked by ac9104 at 11:14 AM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Relationships

• It's not.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:15 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I think the problem comes when a woman's choices to stay home, etc. isn't all about her choice because it stems from a patriarchal edict that that is the only place for a woman.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 11:17 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I fell that a woman can do anything that she wants. I am happy that you chose a path that makes you happy with your life.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:17 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I think because you settled and married a man and are dependant on him if you stay home. Oh and they hate the traditional family. Thats why I could never be a feminist.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• misses nick, I kind of get what you're saying, but this was my choice to stay home. I could have gone to college right away (I'm going online right now) and had a career, but I choose to get married, have kids, and stay home. I could still go to work, we can afford day care. But I don't want to. I understand that it is patriarchal, but now, it is a woman's choice, because if we want to, we can do something else.
    ac9104

Comment by ac9104 (original poster) at 11:19 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• To be honest, I never get bashed for choosing this (stay-at-home mom). And anyone who would judge me for doing what I do, I wouldn't be able to take them seriously.
    What is the most important thing about our lives? If not our children/families, than what? So what more important job than to raise them and love them and teach them and care for them?
    I find more often that career moms wish they could do the same as I do. (Although I know some who have to go to work or would go crazy staying home with the kids).
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 11:19 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I get alot because I choose to stay home with my 3 kids instead of working, but some people dont understand we can do it, plus if I was to work my paycheck would go for daycare. but yet my sister choose not to have kid and own her house and is about to open a gym, and she said later she may have kids. its jjust how people look it
    SkylaReneeMom

Answer by SkylaReneeMom at 11:19 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I'm sorry. I don't think I was maybe clear enough in my meaning. All the feminists I know (and I am sort of one...in a non-bra-burning sense) do not have a problem with a woman choosing to stay home and raise her family. (I am a stay-at-home-mom.) They have a problem with women who do so because they buy into the patriarchal tradition that a woman's only place is in the home and that no other option is valid.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 11:25 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Oh, ok misses. Sorry, I didn't get that part.
    ac9104

Comment by ac9104 (original poster) at 11:26 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I am a sahm by choice and enjoy it. But I also worked on Wall Street and yes I miss the equal footing I had in the corporate world.I would look up at the glass ceiling and think wow I am in the same room as these mega mogul business people. I miss the adult conversations no matter how mundane and routine you were part of a group and earning money to boot. At home you get typecast as lazy and dumb and not assertive enough to do things for yourself finanically unless working in my opinion personally speaking.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 11:32 AM on Jan. 25, 2011