What is your best tip to keep kids healthy?

SweetLuci

Asked by SweetLuci at 11:16 AM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Health

• Variety in the diet and keep them moving! We sometimes have contests about who has the most color on their plates when we eat. (We don't serve junk and processed food here, so that's easy.) We play outdoors. We work and play indoors. We dance in the kitchen while we make dinner and set the table. We play Wii Fit or Sports Resort when we can't play sports and ride bikes outside...
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 11:22 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• you mean like from illness?
    seriously, I don't worry about it. I let them get exposed to everything.
    the best defense against illness is a good immune system. They'll never build up active immunity if you protect them from everything out there.
    as far as an ideal weight and good choices, your best bet is YOU. Letting them see you make healthy choices consistently.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:19 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I have mine learn how to eat healthy early on and choose the best foods. I think it helps both with immunity and with any obesity challenges. If you have a healthy body you are less likely to get sick right? Of course there are childhood illnesses we all get and I am not sure there is anything you can do to avoid colds, virus', the flu etc. As mine got older I also made sure they were always in a sport as well to help them understand they have to exercise and do things with their spare time. It makes it fun to them to exercise imo.

Answer by gemgem at 11:22 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• i don't have a tip, but my kids are pretty healthy, the only time they get "sick" is with seasonal allergies in the spring...i feed them well balanced meals and make sure they wash their hands alot (i do ds b/c he's too little to do it himself)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:18 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Drinking good juice.... not fake sugary juice. And milk. My kids love veggies since that is what we pushed since they were able to eat. We keep our house a little cooler than others because it holds down on the germs.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 11:26 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• have then snap on a container of hand sanitizer and use it. also make sure they wash their hands- a lot!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 11:28 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Good food, lots of hand washing
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 11:30 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Lead by example. That is the number one thing you should do. My son is 3 and while his cousins happily chomp on biscuits, he will happily sit next to them and CHOOSE to eat a banana or some apples.

He also loves his vegetables too and will often ask just for a plate of them, particularly broccoli and okra.

I don't believe he would be so into his fruit and vegetables, if as a family we didn't eat them at every meal. He is a very healthy boy and has never been ill as a result.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 11:59 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Oh leading by example I only mention food, however its also important with exercise too. We go for walks everyday and my son loves running and going on his balance bike. We rarely use the car and favour public transport instead. So I think leading by example if both these respects is important.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 12:00 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Broad question...but wash hands a lot
    get enough sleep
    eat right
    batjmom

Answer by batjmom at 12:44 PM on Jan. 25, 2011