How would you treat a cough in a 4-year old?

My son has a cough, and he keeps asking for tylenol, which I doubt is going to help him. Other than keeping him hydrated, is there much that I can do for him?

(This isn't like croup or whooping cough or anything like that, just a basic cold cough, but he HATES to cough and freaks out every time.

Groovyflor1

Asked by Groovyflor1 at 11:27 AM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Health

• Honey. It's a natural cough suppressant and you cannot overdose on it.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:29 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• If it's a non stop coughing then I would give him a couple teaspoons of honey. Give him a luke warm bath, vick him up and put him to bed. Hope the little man feels better soon. No one likes to have a cough :O(
    buggin4baby

Answer by buggin4baby at 11:32 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• cough medicine- at 4
    i think he thinks that all medicines are Tylenol.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 11:29 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• You could put honey and fresh lemon juice in a little warm water and have him swallow that if he doesn't like honey straight-up. But honey is the answer in this house. In addition to some cold cure soup. (I posted the recipe in a different question today. It was something about your best home remedies.)
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 11:38 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• In think you can use Delsym...there is always honey
    kellar2

Answer by kellar2 at 12:17 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• When my daughter has a cough/cold I put a vaporizer going in her room, rub Vicks on her chest and on the bottoms of her feet and put socks on her, give her Chamomile tea with honey and lemon, sometimes a little bit of Claritin for children to dry up the mucous that's running down her throat, and nice warm chicken soup.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 12:18 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I would put a humidifier in the bedroom so at night they are not breathing in dry air.. Elevate head. I don't medicate a cough. If they are not sleeping well after a couple nights I would give childrens Delsym.
    batjmom

Answer by batjmom at 12:43 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• If you do not have a humidifier run the shower on hot before bed...or boil some water in the house. Make sure he is blowing his nose often..if it rains near you..open up the house and let some moist air in. Then give him some nice hot showers or baths. Rub some Vicks or menthol or eucalyptus on his feet and put on some warm socks at bedtime. Robitussin DM is still the best. Make sure he is drinking tons of water...get him a cool bottle that has a straw.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 1:12 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• honey (antibacterial) mixed with cayenne (anti-inflammatory)
    elderberry syrup

Have you ruled out allergies?

Answer by rkoloms at 5:12 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Honey!!! That's what I used to give him! It's been so long since he had a cough I couldn't remember. Thanks all. I'm pretty sure it's just a cold, but I know it bothers him, so anything I can do to help makes me feel better.
    Groovyflor1

Comment by Groovyflor1 (original poster) at 10:26 PM on Jan. 26, 2011