If you've switched to electronic cigarettes

Which brands - or more important, any to stay away from? DH is finally going to switch and we're hoping this will have him quit for good.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 11:31 AM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Health

• – collapse
    For goodness sake- Just quit already!! If I can do it ( I was a diehard for 30 years) anybody can!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 11:33 AM on Jan. 25, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• ^^ it's not THAT easy, sorry! Goodluck to your DH.
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 11:35 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I'm not a smoker, but I have a question about this. I saw something on TV and thought this was basically like "smoking" a humidifier. lol I thought the only thing in it was water. But I heard some people talking about them the other day and said that you have to buy cartridges for them and that the cartridges are nicotine? So...I don't get it. How does this help?
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 11:35 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• So...I don't get it. How does this help?

It works kind of like the patch or gum. The cartridges ramp down the amount of nicotine, and in the meantime, you don't get a lot of the other harmful effects like you do from smoke. It's like using a vaporizer and adding medicine to it, only in this case it's small amounts of nicotine. You start with ones as strong as what you smoke, and each pack you go to a smaller dose until you're off it completely. It's a LOT cheaper than the patch or gum, though (and about 1/4 the cost of smoking).
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 11:37 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I and SO use the super cigarette. It's at a kiosk at our mall. He tried a couple of different ones and these can be 'reloaded' rather than buying more cartridges.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:38 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I'm so sorry to take over with my own questions, and thank you for answering the first. Now, I have another one...*sheepish grin*
    Can these be used with no nicotine at all and just the water vapor? Like, if a smoker finds he can do without the chemical addiction but still needs the "habit" or the motions of smoking?
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 11:43 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Can these be used with no nicotine at all and just the water vapor? Like, if a smoker finds he can do without the chemical addiction but still needs the "habit" or the motions of smoking?

Yes - DH has been researching them this morning, and he's found message boards where people are comparing all the different flavors. He had to come down and tell me about one guy who wakes up every morning with a maple pancake flavored cartridge. I guess there are hundreds out there that are just flavors and no nicotine.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 11:44 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• The only thing that are in them is nicotine. The other 4000 carcinogens are not in them.

You can wean off nicotine. from 24 mg to 0mg. it allows you to still get the nicotine you need but nothing else. And once you don't need the nicotine anymore you will still get the hand to mouth that most cannot give up.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:46 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Sounds interesting.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 11:49 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Ah, thank you very much. My curiosity is satisfied. Good luck!
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 11:51 AM on Jan. 25, 2011