Eye Crossing

I have 3 boys, my oldest is 4 1/2 - he crosses his left eye and wears glasses. His Eye Dr. says it's due to the fact he was a low-birth-weight baby and muslce strain to see. Recently my 3 yr old has been crossing his eye, also his left eye. Could it be genetics? This isn't normal is it?

patientmama

Asked by patientmama at 9:07 AM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Kids' Health

• My oldest has a follow up appointment coming up soon, so I will try to get him an appointment. I just don't understand it. My oldest has been wearing glasses for 1 1/2 years and sometimes his left eye crosses, not for long periods of time, so we asked the Dr. about the eye patch, she said no he doesn't need it. I am wondering how long does he have to wear the glasses before he stops crossing.
    patientmama

Answer by patientmama at 9:16 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Glasses alone may not do it. There might be some muscular re-education that needs to take place; that is, training the muscles of the eyes to work properly. A pediatric opthamologist is a place to start but I would pursue an appointment with a developmental optometrist as well. We've seen both over the years.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:22 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• my oldest son had this. it can be genetic. but it can also be fixed. talk to your dr. about patch therapy. it only has to be used for like a couple of hours everyday. my son had to do it for about a year and a half. but it worked. i hope this helps.
    kristyann

Answer by kristyann at 9:38 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I don't even know what a Opthamologist is! Crap. I just don't understand, we were led to believe what happend to my oldest was due to his problems as a baby. I certainly don't want to ignore this so I guess I should have all three boys checked. Does this eye crossing have a name? Like I said it's only for a few seconds, it's not a lazy eye or wandering eye.
    patientmama

Answer by patientmama at 9:58 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• you can ask your pediatrician for the name of a good pediatric opthamologist

kristyann

Answer by kristyann at 4:34 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Were they premature? Were they on any oxygen? The reason I am asking and it may be far fetched is that retinopathy also has the symptom of cross eye. AND it doesn't have to be both eyes crossing...I def. would take the advice and go see a regular pediatric opthamalogist. Better to be safe then sorry...Good Luck.
    nyteowl

Answer by nyteowl at 11:09 PM on Nov. 15, 2008