Has anyone tried the "your baby can read"?? Is it worth buying?

sjfountain

Asked by sjfountain at 11:50 AM on Jan. 25, 2011 in General Parenting

• No, it's not worth it.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:52 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Here is a link to "your baby can read" search in this section. Lots of answers there.

shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 11:53 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• We got it for my ds when he was 7 months, he didn't have the attention span to watch the entire movie. He'd watch maybe 15 min. Of it, then crawl away. They want you to have them watch it twice a day! That's a lot for some pone that young.... We stopped and tried again at 1 he sat throughout the movies and started to do the movements. Once he turned 18 months or so, he lost interest again. W
    I'll play the movies every once in a while, but my son just didn't want to sit and watch a movie.... He recognized some of the words after the 6 months but not nearly like they said. I think the only way you'd get that reaction is by forcing them to sit and watch it twice a day. However, it did teach my son to identify some animals..... It's a toss up for me...
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 11:55 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• NO it's a waste of money. Like a lot of people said it's should be called your baby can memorize.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:57 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• bump
    love_my_family

Answer by love_my_family at 12:04 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I read somewhere online that yes, they do work...because they're memorizing or learning or whatever...but the important thing is that there is no proof that learning to read early is beneficial later on in life. So, to me...why worry about it if it's not going to do any good in the long run? I'm sure if you google "your baby can read + long term benefits" (or something like that) that you'll find this information.
    crystalbean2

Answer by crystalbean2 at 12:13 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I wanted to buy that when I was pregnant and I asked the same thing and I now also think that it is just memorization.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 6:28 PM on Jan. 25, 2011