Stuff an ex gave you

I was watching a rerun of How I met you Mother and they were talking about how you should get rid everything your ex's gave you no matter what it is.

What do you ladies think? Should you have to get rid of everything an ex gave you just so your current SO doesn't feel uncomfortable?

I personally don't think so, well depending on what it is. But say it's a coffee mug or a disk of your favorite artist. I don't understand why any one would be upset over something like that since it came from an ex.

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 11:52 AM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Relationships

• I think no matter who gave it to me, now it's mine... Who the hell cares if I bought it or if it was a gift, it's MINE and I shouldn't have to toss MY things just because the relationship ended...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:00 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I do it on my own before I ever meet anyone else. I usually dont want anything an ex gave me lol. Its all contaminated to me. I know Im stupid but its how I am. I had a bf who gave me all sorts of things from jewelry to furniture and I threw all of it out. My ex husband, same thing. I packed up the nicer stuff and sent it to his house and told him his mistress might want it.

Answer by gemgem at 11:56 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Nope. I dont' feel this way. If my SO expects me to not have had a life before him, he needs to find someone else.

There are things that exs gave you that made you into the person who you are now. They are as much a part of you as anything.

Now, if you are holding onto them in hopes of being with them again, then I'd say you shouldn't be in another relationship at all right now.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:54 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• My ex never gave me anything (except our kid) so there was nothing to get rid of.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• eavh to there own but i got some rings in the past and I sold them but other stuff shirts necklace ect... if ya like it keep it
    april_f

Answer by april_f at 11:58 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I think it depends on the couple and what the thing is that is from the ex. I didn't keep anything from my ex's. Then again I didn't have a lot from them either. To my knowledge my DH didn't keep anything from his either. I personally don't think it's a good idea to keep something of an ex around if you're with someone else and if it made them uncomfortable. Maybe this is a situation where discretion would be a good idea if you absolutely cannot part with whatever it is. If they don't know it was from an ex they wouldn't be upset about it.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 12:00 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I have tried to keep stuff. I ended up getting rid of most of it. What i have left is a scarf his mom gave to me(I love her so much, she is so awesome) and some clothes his sister gave me. But anything he gave me, is gone now. (but I still miss him sometimes)
    TwilightMack

Answer by TwilightMack at 12:00 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I haven't gotten rid of everything. Maybe stupid little things that are clutter but not big things I still enjoy.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 12:02 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• My ex gave me my dog and I've had her for the last 10 years so I'm not about to get rid of her. My husband doesn't know my ex gave her to me, and I don't feel like that's something I need to share with him. To be honest I don't make the connection between her and my ex when I think about her so why should he?
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 12:04 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• all depends on if i want to keep it. cars, homes, big things (i never got) i would probably keep but the little things, no. it also would depend on how marriage ended.
    lillie70

Answer by lillie70 at 12:09 PM on Jan. 25, 2011