What kind of breast pump is suitable for occasional use?

I need recommendations for an inexpensive breastpump for occasional use.

LilyofPhilly

Asked by LilyofPhilly at 9:07 AM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I bought the medela swing. Our breast feeding instructor, highly reccomended it.
    tdawn_21

Answer by tdawn_21 at 9:09 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I lived by my Hand pump by Medela
    brannen

Answer by brannen at 9:16 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I highly recommend Medela. They can be pricey, but their manual pumps (which is all you'll likely need for occassional use) are not bad at all.

I would NOT go with Evenflo or The First Years. They work for a few times...and then crack, lose suction, break, or just plain HURT.

You can also try hand expression which works great for a lot of moms. Here's a link on that:
    http://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com/tips-and-solutions/130/how-to-manually-express-breastmilk---the-marmet-technique
    jaycee1124

Answer by jaycee1124 at 9:33 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Definately a manual pump..they're not that expensive and since you wont' be using it often. I know Medela has very nice pumps..personally mine isn't one, but that's because I received mine for free
    nel2359

Answer by nel2359 at 9:56 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• The hand pump my Medela. The best and not too pricey.
    MommyTatum

Answer by MommyTatum at 10:04 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I like my medela swing. Is your dd on wic? They provide a breastpump if you ask for it. That's how I got my medela swing. You rent it out and when you're done nursing all your subsequencial children you return the pump
    NinjaMomma

Answer by NinjaMomma at 10:06 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• a hand pump, electric or manual. i personally prefer Medela aor Avent, but there are cheaper brands and versions. defeinately do some research and check customer reviews about them to determine if they will be a good purchase for you
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 11:19 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• i loved my advent hand pump! more then an electric.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 12:06 PM on Nov. 14, 2008