Who pays?

My sister is 17 almost 18 and she is pregnant. The 16 year old father works at KFC and they are no longer together. Will he have to pay child support since he has a job? Or will his parents? BTW I live in Ohio. I cannot find any information on underage parents.

tinaandavasmom

Asked by tinaandavasmom at 12:16 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in General Parenting

• Have you gone to the Ohio State's website? Should be Ohio.gov.
    He would still be responsible. If you take him to court then they will most likely force him to get a job in order to pay child support.
    The age of the child isn't a restriction of what obligations they have towards their child. Once they become pregnant or get someone pregnant they are considered an adult.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:49 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• He does. Parents are no liable for their childrens kids. My friends ds has this situation and the court told the moms family he had to pay and he was ordered to pay $60 a mth and it was suspended until he graduated high school. If he quit school he would have to pay though.

Answer by gemgem at 12:18 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Who Pays?
    the american taxpayer.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 12:22 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I have no idea. But he is 16, how much could he possibly make? I think his parents are still responsible for him. He is not an adult.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:18 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I think child support should fall on him, after all he's the father. I'm sure he probably doesn't make a lot, but it's not like his parents fathered the child.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:19 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• most likely he will, but it wont be much because it will be based off his KFC income.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:20 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• exactly scout_mom and that is what the courts told my friends son. See the parents of the girl went after him for child support but asked it be based on his mom and dads income. The courts said they (both teens) made the child together and alone are responsibly for said child. She was living with her mom and dad and had no rent. His parents had provided a crib, diapers, clothes etc. The judge felt it was important both teens finish high school and gave the father the lowest child support under the law and suspended it so he could finish high school and maybe provide more for his child later.

Answer by gemgem at 12:23 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Most likely it will be suspended until he turns 18. For his sake he better hope the judge doesn't decide to keep the tab running until that time or he'll be paying for retroactive payments
    Anonymous

• Child support falls upon those that created that child. If you feel you are responsible enough to have sex, then you are responsible enough to have to care for that child if the child is not being given up for adoption.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 12:29 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Which might be a good thing Anonymous.
    tinaandavasmom

Comment by tinaandavasmom (original poster) at 12:29 PM on Jan. 25, 2011