What is the best way to teach a toddler to Walk

My Son will be a year old in 2 weeks and I was wondering what is the best way to teach him to walk

wlmead

Asked by wlmead at 9:10 AM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son is only 5 months, but we taought my cousin who was 11 months at the time with "walking Wings" you can find them at Babies R Us, it is like a harnest with handles and gives you a little work out at the same time.
    brannen

Answer by brannen at 9:14 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• with my boys the best thing i found was just playing with them. hold his hands and help him walk this will show him how its done, and they love it. i'm not sure there really is a way to teach them how to walk. it is just one of those things that they will do when they are ready.
    kristyann

Answer by kristyann at 9:36 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• My girlfriend and I were discussing when my, at the time 13month old, was going to let go of the couch and walk on his own. She told me to try giving him crayons in his hands! Give them two crayons, one in each hand, and start walking with them. hold onto the end of the crayons until they're on a roll then nonchalantly let go. I promise you it works, she did thst with her son and by the next day my son was walking with out the crayons too!!
    ladybug2921

Answer by ladybug2921 at 11:38 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Lots of chances to "cruise" the furniture.
    A "toddler wagon" - these are toys the toddler holds onto with two hands and walks behind. A baby version of the walker you will see elderly people using. They come in all sorts of styles - shopping carts, little wagons, hippos that eat toys.

Just give him lots of chances to build muscles, build a sense of balance, and build a sense of trust in herself.

And yes, once you are fairly certain he is ready (just not willing) to walk on his own, try the crayon trick. I've heard to use hot dogs but crayons would be much less messy!
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:01 PM on Nov. 14, 2008