your thoughts?

what are your thoughts about a nursing home?

diamondsarecool

Asked by diamondsarecool at 12:56 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I wouldn't place my parents in one.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 12:56 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• They're necessary but I personally hope to never resort to one for any of my family members or myself.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 12:58 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• They were necessary for my grandmother. We couldn't bathe her or change her diaper. She couldn't walk or anything. It was the best place for her.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:01 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Those of you whom disagree about nursing homes, what are your reasons?
    diamondsarecool

Comment by diamondsarecool (original poster) at 1:04 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I think there are some really wonderful ones out there, as well as some really terrible ones. There are also some great places that bridge the gap. My grandmother used to live in a senior living apartment building where the residents were mostly independent, but they were checked in on and there was always someone there in case something happened. There was a building next door where the residents would move when they needed more full time care. It was similar, but they had more assistance. I think it was a great compromise because the people living there felt independent, but they were safe.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:21 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I would have no problem putting my mom in a nursing home when the time comes. I fully expect that she will live with us at some point, but when she needs more care than I can give her, I have no problem with a GOOD nursing home. My mom has even said she would rather be in a good nursing home than live with me at the point where she has to have 24/7 care. My husband's grandmother is a nursing home that is only for Alzheimer's and dementia seniors and it is the best place for her. She was living with his parents, but my MIL couldn't even go down and feed her horses without her mom trying to escape and getting upset. The nursing home she is in is great. My MIL can show up any time of day and it never smells. They go see plays and things like that and it's geared for Alzheimer and dementia patients.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 2:28 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• What nursing home are good?
    diamondsarecool

Comment by diamondsarecool (original poster) at 3:39 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• i live in Williamsport, PA
    diamondsarecool

• i think it's helpful to get someone back on track with health issues and be able to return to there homes. but not sure of long term ..
    only because i been on bothsides of tracks for loseing family members in a homes and family members being in them for help to get back on there feet ..

hope this help some way ..
    god bless
    momofrsd

Answer by momofrsd at 9:14 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I don't like Dad having to be there. I know he is scared and worry. you can see it in him. but on the other hand i'm happy to know he's not alone if something would happen, he's under close dr watch,and he's safe. i know even though he may not agree, he is right where he needs to be because of dr not me.
    diamondsarecool

Comment by diamondsarecool (original poster) at 10:00 PM on Jan. 25, 2011