Any all - natural mommas out there?

I've decided to go more natural with things.. Foods, soaps, and medicines. I've started eating more organic meats and dairy because they don't have any growth hormones. I've started eating more variety of fruits and veggies and this weekend I am making my own laundry detergent and household cleaners. I'm also going to acupuncture instead of trying traditional medicines to conceive. I figure I've done everything the other way and nothing has worked out so why not try this? Anyways, I was wondering if anyone had any tips of going more natural?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:05 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Health

• Well... you may like to re-think your choice of making your own laundry soap. The reason people stopped using soap when detergents were invented include: soap leaves a residue that is sticky, clings to dust and adds a grey cast to clothing. It's why people used to use bluing (soft blue dye) to keep whites actually white. It also does not function well in anything but the softest water, or anything but very hot water --which destroys elastic, spandex, etc. Detergents can be used in smaller quantities for a better clean. And they are all made by the same manufacturer (except sa8, which is a dastardly chemical stew), with varying additives: buy the cheapest you can find and use as little as you can (I use 1/8c, I have really soft water).

Milk, being a growth food for cow babies, has growth hormones in it whether it has rBGH or not. Just so you know.

Cleaners: you may find that plain hot water works as well as anything else.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:11 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• My biggest tip is go slowly and make one change at a time. If you're trying to jump in with both feet you can easily become overwhelmed and confused with all the information out there. Find yourself a good Chiropractor, Masseur, Nutritionist and so on, one at a time. Allow yourself to focus on one thing, one change before you move to the next. The number one reason people stop trying to live a natural life is because they find it "hard." In my experience they find it "hard" because they are trying to much at once... Little steps that become habit are more helpful than big changes that don't stick.

My second piece of advice is READ LABELS! I have found that a LOT of "green," "natural," or "eco-friendly" products really aren't. The FDA has the ability to label ANYTHING which is grown as "natural" even though it could still be far from healthy. Remember, Petroleum is "natural" that doesn't make it healthy!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:11 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• there r lots of groups here that will be helpful...go to the library and read as much as you can...there are tons of books about it.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 2:53 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• The word natural is unregulated and utterly meaningless.

I will be happy to offer suggestions on using less toxins

Answer by rkoloms at 5:15 PM on Jan. 25, 2011