What are some anger management techniques?

mamacita69930

Asked by mamacita69930 at 1:14 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Just for Fun

• # Identify solutions to the situation. Instead of focusing on what made you mad, work with the person who angered you to resolve the issue at hand.
    # Use 'I' statements when describing the problem. This will help you to avoid criticizing or placing blame, which can make the other person angry or resentful — and increase tension. For instance, say, "I'm upset you didn't help with the housework this evening," instead of, "You should have helped with the housework."
    # Don't hold a grudge. If you can forgive the other person, it will help you both. It's unrealistic to expect everyone to behave exactly as you want.
    # Use humor to release tensions. Lightening up can help diffuse tension. Don't use sarcasm, though — it's can hurt feelings and make things worse.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:16 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• 10 tips to help get your anger under control

1. Take a 'timeout.' Although it may seem cliche, counting to 10 before reacting really can defuse your temper.
    2. Get some space. Take a break from the person you're angry with until your frustrations subside a bit.
    3. Once you're calm, express your anger. It's healthy to express your frustration in a nonconfrontational way. Stewing about it can make the situation worse.
    4. Get some exercise. Physical activity can provide an outlet for your emotions, especially if you're about to erupt. Go for a brisk walk or a run, swim, lift weights or shoot baskets.
    5. Think carefully before you say anything. Otherwise, you're likely to say something you'll regret. It can be helpful to write down what you want to say so that you can stick to the issues. When you're angry, it's easy to get sidetracked.
    mommy_of_two388

• Sometimes and I really mean this....I have to jump up and down and scream out my fury before I can manage ANYTHING....lol It doesn't happen often but I basically have a tantrum =) ha ha

how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 1:16 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• For right on the spot frustration, breath slowly while counting to 10. Then think, is this how I want to react to the situation.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 1:23 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Practice relaxation skills. Learning skills to relax and de-stress can also help control your temper when it may flare up. Practice deep-breathing exercises, visualize a relaxing scene, or repeat a calming word or phrase to yourself, such as "Take it easy." Other proven ways to ease anger include listening to music, writing in a journal and doing yoga

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/anger-management/MH00102

This is what I found months ago and it's helped me.

mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:17 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Same as for 7yos...

Breathe
    Step back
    Count to 10
    Re-frame the meaning of events
    Re-evaluate your interpretation of events
    Reconnect with your values and goals in life

Avoid: venting, screaming, punching things or anything else that keeps you connected with the thoughts and judgments that have made you angry to start with. They don't help, and amplify the feelings (or add 'I feel stupid doing this' to the problem)
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:19 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• hmmmmm I always feel better after a tantrum....lol But I don't yell at someone or throw things or even cuss. It's just kind of a wordless screech of frustration that needs to be let out.

how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 1:22 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• The best way is to ask yourself why you are angry. Maybe a better way to put it is to get to the real source of your anger. Then deal with the source, and you won't have to "manage" your anger. Sometimes, we are angry simply because we are not getting our own way. Sometimes we are angry because we don't like ourselves. Whatever the real reason for the anger, it needs to be discovered and then dealt with. It's the only way I've found to get rid of anger. Otherwise, it turns to other things like hatred, bitterness, ulcers, colon problems and on and one. I've never been at all successful in managing my anger, but I have been highly successful at getting rid of it.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:25 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• count to ten, walk away
    kim0167

Answer by kim0167 at 10:26 PM on Jan. 25, 2011